Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

How do you find time to work out with kids!?!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you find time to work out with kids!?!?

I don't know how you all do it. DH is gone 16 hrs a day this month and next month is night float. I work/commute 50 hrs/week and have a 6 month old. Please give me some suggestions!!

Here is what I thought of so far:
    -I put my regular gym membership on hold (that gym is 15 minutes away)
    -I'm joining a smaller gym with worse hours, but it's .25 miles from home
    -I told DH I'm comandeering some of his Netflix queue and am going to try some workout videos
    -My convinced my mom to watch DD extra long 2 days/week so I can drive all the way home and go to the gym and then drive back to pick her up

I'm actually planning on joining the nearby gym tomorrow with hopes that I can go for the first time Sunday when DH has off.

M,

Our YMCA offers 1.5 hrs of childcare/day. If not for this I wouldn't stand a chance. I did get into pilates with a great beginner's video that really showed results and was doable with the kids (as in they climbed on me and also tried to work out ).

A friend uses this http://www.demandfitness.com/

Comment

1) when we were in DC I joined and then taught classes w/ stroller strides-

http://www.strollerstrides.com

and on the days I didn't teach, we were out walking every day from 9-11. Period. We went on days when it was 24 and days when it was raining and days when it was nearly 100. We have a stroller with attached sun/ rain/bug coverage and as long as he was comfy- we were GONE.

2) I decided when my husband deployed that for my own sanity that I needed to join a gym. I literally went with the closest gym that had childcare and I made it a priority. I have missed meetings at work (I work PT), I have been almost late to pick up my son from daycare; today I dragged my mother and my aunt with me. I don't care- it is now my 100% first priority (after brushing my teeth). I will go to the gym at least 3X a week and on the 'off' days I will walk my dog for an hour or more- in the stroller or while my son is in daycare.

Jenn

Comment

Re: How do you find time to work out with kids!?!?

Originally posted by ud_grad
        I don't know how you all do it. DH is gone 16 hrs a day this month and next month is night float. I work/commute 50 hrs/week and have a 6 month old. Please give me some suggestions!!
        The ONLY way I ever was able to work out when DH was training (residency) was to get up before DH left the house 4:30 to 5:30. I was lucky our gym was a 2 minute drive from our house or a 10 minute run.

I could have made other choices as I was a SAHM but this worked best for me.
        Flynn

Wife to post training CT surgeon; mother of three kids ages 17, 15, and 11.

“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” —Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets " Albus Dumbledore

Comment

Take gym clothes to the office too or at least sneakers. On nice fall or spring days you can take a few laps around the area at lunch and I find I eat less if I do this to because I drink a bottle of water while I walk briskly. Also if you have workout clothes with you, you can drive straight to the gym and don't have to go home. Take the stairs at work too.

I don't have any kids yet but that's just general advice, good luck, it's awesome that you're so committed to your health - that kiddo will thank you some day.
          Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
          Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

I either haul them in to the gym daycare, or go at 4:30 on DH's clinic days (OR days he has to be in to early for this to work). Now that he is on research, we sometimes go together in the evening, using the cheap and prepaid gym daycare to have a "date".
            Rebecca, wife to handsome gyn-onc, and mom 4 awesome kiddos: 8,6,4, and 2.

Comment

When I worked in a safer neighborhood, I would run on my lunchbreaks and clean up in the bathrooms afterwards (one of the bathrooms at our work had a shower).

Is it an option for you to do it on your lunchbreak?
              Cranky Wife to a Peds EM in private practice. Mom to 5 girls - 1 in Heaven and 4 running around in princess shoes.

Comment

Originally posted by samssugarmomma
                Is it an option for you to do it on your lunchbreak?
                Unfortunately no because we are paying for daycare at an hourly rate. She is there 9 hours, so I only have time to work 8 hours and commute to and from daycare while eating at my desk.

I REALLY intend to take the baby to the gym by my house and sign the papers tonight since I didn't get there yesterday. I'd like to try to make tomorrow night my first night there since my mom is ok with watching DD extra time tomorrow night.

Comment

Just an update:

I joined the gym that is 1/4 miles from my house (I'm still a member of another gym that I joined 6 years ago and I'm not ready to relinquish my membership just yet b/c I do love it there).

My mom watches DD two days/week and my parents have graciously offered to watch her a little longer those days so I can go to the gym immediately after work and then pick her up. My plan is to cook the days I don't go and make sure we have leftovers for the gym nights so we are not sacrificing dinner and getting fast food b/c I get home later.

The new gym closes at 2pm on Sat. and Sun. but hopefully DH can get home by 1 on days he has to do rounds and I can try to fit in a third session on the weekends.

I'm so excited! I can't wait to feel better about myself and see some progress!

Comment

I get up with DH around 5:00 AM, go running while he's in the shower and getting ready, then come back home, jump in the shower myself, and go back to bed!!!

Weird and kind of sleep disruptive, but that's honest-to-goodness the only opportunity. Like some other SOs, my DH is gone 15-17 hours a day.

And the streets are so nice and quiet. And I don't have to worry about running into any of DH's compadres...I hate looking completely disgusting around the people he works with.

Oh, oh, oh...the one other thing I do, if I oversleep: I get DS up around 6:00 AM, and we walk to daycare together. He LOVES this (weird kid). He thinks it rocks to have breakfast at school (I try not to have my feelings hurt). Then I get to jog home.

Comment

I need to get more motivated. Lately, if DH is home, I have been going running (well walking really fast at least!) after I put DD to bed at 7. I have to put my exercise clothes on before I put her down, or else I will collapse on the couch and never get back up. I walk with her alot during the day too....looking forward to the cooler weather so we can go more often. When she was really little, I'd do the workout videos. I think there are some moves you can do with the baby too. (I never got that ambitious)

Comment

I forgot about workout videos. I have several from http://www.collagevideo.com/ (who has a great return policy btw). I've already got a few news ones picked out to get after the babe gets here.
                        Cranky Wife to a Peds EM in private practice. Mom to 5 girls - 1 in Heaven and 4 running around in princess shoes.

Comment

Working...
                        X