Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

At what age

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• At what age

At what age did your metabolism start changing? I'm 34 and I have now lost and gained the same five pounds three times over the last year. It is like my body is trying to change its set point. I have heard a lot of people say 30 and a few lucky dogs say 40. What is your experience?
    In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Re: At what age

I say for me, 30sish. Weight didn't come off with BF for me or chasing my children like many lucky Hollywood types. I just tested my resting metabolism and found out it is a whopping 1300 calories a day. I don't know what being pregnant three times in 6 years and gaining 30 lbs three times did to my body.
    Needs

Comment

I am 29 and notice changes after I had DD when I was 26. At almost 23, I lost the 60lbs I gained without doing anything. It took almost a year but I still ate whatever I wanted and didn't exercise and it all came off. With DD, I really had to work at it to get the 60lbs that I had also gained with her, as in I starting working out regularly for the first time in my life. For both my mom and grandmother, they had really great metabolisms until they hit their 40s. I think my mom has put on well over 70 lbs in the last 7 years. I think that time is already starting to tick for me.

Comment

I'm 33 and have noticed that I gain weight much more easily than before...
        Kris

Comment

About 35-37.

and it SUCKS.

Jenn

Comment

I used to have a freakish metabolism. In my defense, I also have always been on the "very active" side of the spectrum.

Now I can't eat like a man anymore but I'm used to eating that amount of calories. This sucks.

Kelly
            In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

My metabolism has sucked since childhood. (Same with mom, etc.) The only thing that works for me is to exercise an insane amount -- i.e. when I was rail thin in college, I ran 6 miles a day, biked each night in the gym for an hour while reading for classes and worked out after that with weights. I still only took in around 1400 calories a day and I was religious about counting them. With that, I could get buff.

In regular life, I can't ever eat that much and I need to have a decent activity level or I'm screwed. Now that my daughter is 8, I can see it will be the same story for her. That sucks - but at least I don't have to "adjust" now that I'm forty. Same story.....all the time. Since mom and grandmom never seemed to have an adjustment in their metabolism either, I think I'm fine. In fact, my mom got thinner when she had more free time to work out after her kids were out of the house.
              Angie
              Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
              Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

It wasn't until I hit my early 20s, that in combination with the pill, I really had to start watching what I ate/eat. I'm pretty much sedentary, other than the mile or two I walk each day to get to and from the bus stop.
                married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

Up until my mid twenties, I ate whatever I wanted and never gained a pound. Then my metabolism started to slow down some. Fast forward to a pregnancy with a 50 pound weight gain.. . I am now 34 with a new baby and I am having such a hard time accepting the fact that I have to workout and eat less to lose this weight.

Comment

Metabolism changing?

Nope, I will never admit that it is changing or has changed.

Even though I politely refuse the potato chips at BBQs and I never eat anything "stuffed and baked" anymore.....that doesn't mean ANYTHING.

Really. I'm serious. I drink diet pop for the TASTE -- the other stuff is just too sweet. What? Why are you laughing?

Flynn

Wife to post training CT surgeon; mother of three kids ages 17, 15, and 11.

“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” —Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets " Albus Dumbledore

Comment

I just turned 30 but I noticed 2-3 years ago that I was actually gaining weight. I used to be a set 100 lbs regardless of what I ate or did exercise-wise (I am 5'0"). Now I am like 103-105 and while it's not a lot, I can definitely see the difference in where it goes (like, I am not exactly keen to wear crop tops anymore IYKWIM). Oh and I watch what I eat now and I go to the gym regularly. If I don't I will easily put on another 2-3 lbs (like within a week or 2).

This is all pre-kids too... I am slightly terrified of what will happen when I am PG and have already decided that I will get a personal trainer again once they are born.

Comment

Working...
                      X