Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Workout video

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Workout video

Does anyone have any reccomendations for good videos that take about 30 minutes? Now that I'll be working 2 miles from home :rah: I can wake up later and have time to work out. The gym (through DH's school) is now 6 miles away...and not always worth the drive!

I would prefer ones that don't require a bunch of "stuff". I have a yoga mat and 2.5 lb hand weights.
    Jen
    Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Re: Workout video

I have heard good things about "The Firm" series. If you like ass-kicking yoga, try Ravi Singh and Ana Brett- they have a bunch of different ones.

do you belong to Netflix or Blockbuster? If so, try a bunch of different ones- and that way you're not commited ANd you can change it up as necessary. Certainly is cheaper than a gym membership! I have done that- when I was in Russia for three weeks I brought several different Netflix DVDs with me.

I have heard that DirectTV (I think) has a fitness channel on it- I think some cable services have it, too. We don't pay for anything but basic cable so I can't say how good it is.

Good luck-

Jenn

Comment

The Firm is a great workout....I'd definitely recommend the videos. (I made a "step" out of three big textbooks and I used a broom for one part and then a chair for another.....it's pretty easy to improvise the props.)The library also carries some workout videos (the selection varies)....you could also try them first too.
      Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

I never even thought to look on netflix! Also a good idea considering the fact that I can be very picky about my workout (It's a good excuse not to work out!)

Originally posted by *Lily*
        PS I am totally envious of your 2 minute commute!!!!
        Considering that my previous job was 50 miles from home, I think I can totally get used to the 2 miles! The previous teacher, however, left EVERYTHING (including the horrific curtains and floral arrangements). I was at school today for 8 hours scrubbing desks, cleaning out drawers, and moving books...Going back tomorrow for more fun! :jumpsofa:
        Jen
        Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

If you have on demand w/ your cable company they have alot of different workouts to choose from. I like it b/c I get bored w/ the same video everyday.

Comment

30 Day Shred has 3 20-min intense workouts. Love it.

Comment

I love Cathe the most. http://www.cathe.com She is very hard core, and has a cult following. The last couple of years she made some beginner workouts that were shorter. The fab thing about her dvd's is that for each full length workout, you can pick a premix of it. Some will do just the lower body, just the upper body, a quick cardio etc.. You have to look at each workout to see what the premix selection is. Another thing, is she gives great form instructions and is NOT cheesy. I can't stand almost 90% of what is out there due to the cheerleader personalities, including some of the Firm. The Firm is not that hard, to intermediate, and is easily found but they like their accessories alot and make it seem like you need them to use their tapes. But I did it for a year before Cathe and it was a good entry level to workout videos. On Cathe's website you can find her forum, it's FANTASTIC, and lots of people there can give you excellent advice on which workout of hers would address what you are looking for.

The best place to search what is out there is:
              http://www.collage-video.com is great for resources to purchase what can't be found instore, and have lots of reviews too.

Denise Austin is extremely beginner, and her cues are ok, her voice is annoying.
              Kathy Smith has some decent ones, she is not to annoying.
              The Scott Pilates workouts I found very boring

Comment

Disclaimer: These are not 30 minute workouts....

DH and I just burned the P90X workout from another med couple who works out together. I have been "coaching" DH while he does the videos and will be joining him once the baby is here. These are intense but I can already see some positive changes in DH since he started them about a week and a half ago. The DVD's are a little pricey which is why we got copies but I think they are well worth it. There are 13 DVD's that include core, yoga, aerobic, weightlifting etc.

Once I get back on the workout circuit, I'll update and see how it goes for me to me too.
                Danielle
                Wife of a sexy Radiologist and mom to TWO adorable little boys!

Comment

Originally posted by Tenacious_D
                  Disclaimer: These are not 30 minute workouts....

DH and I just burned the P90X workout from another med couple who works out together. I have been "coaching" DH while he does the videos and will be joining him once the baby is here. These are intense but I can already see some positive changes in DH since he started them about a week and a half ago. The DVD's are a little pricey which is why we got copies but I think they are well worth it. There are 13 DVD's that include core, yoga, aerobic, weightlifting etc.

Once I get back on the workout circuit, I'll update and see how it goes for me to me too.
                  I've heard these are great from a lot of people. I wish they didn't bundle everything, or it seemed like they were all sold bundled last time I looked into them.

Comment

Do you have an ipod? There are several workout videos that you can download for free. I tried one yoga one and liked it - I know small screen BUT very portable. I now do not have an excuse when traveling.
                    Finally - we are finished with training! Hello real world!!

Comment

I started P90X this week. Love it (except for YogaX)!

Comment

ok I finally found the other site that has great workout video reviews

http://www.videofitness.com/

Comment

Working...
                        X