Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

It's that time of year...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's that time of year...

As much I'm not a diehard resolution-maker, three weeks of being in the house with lots of sweets and treats has me resolving to start the year with healthier habits. I have a gift certificate for a local yoga place that I'm going to use, am going to aim for some solid exercise time 3x/week, and eat a little less and a little healthier.

Anyone else?

Re: It's that time of year...

DH and I are both trying to get into better shape this year - so we can look hot on our vacation in 2010! My biggest focus this year is going to be my legs. An ex-bf once said to me, "Do the back of your legs still jiggle like they used to" So my goal is to look good in bikini bottoms (not boy-shorts)!
    Jen
    Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

Yes. Is it January 3 already?

I think I'll be okay with the gym. I took a bit of a hiatus in the two weeks before Christmas, but I went twice last week and I hadn't lost too much ground--I wasn't dying during my usual workout or anything. If the weather holds out I think I'll be able to get back to going 4-5x a week. I'm mostly fine with my very moderate workout, but I'll loosely plan to start upping the intensity a bit there around the beginning of February.

Food-wise I know I need to count calories and measure food for a while (like get out the food scale and make sure 30g of Cheerios is actually 30g of Cheerios). Not permanently, but doing it for a while will help get me honest about portion sizes. (My old nemesis, portion sizes! We go way back.) And I have a rotation of dinner recipes I'm generally happy with for now, but I need to go through them with pencil and paper and calculator and see how many calories are in them and clean them up/cut them back where necessary. I'm sure for some of them I should be making 2/3 of the recipe or something.

Sooo . . . yeah. I'm lucky to not have a bunch of barriers in my way to getting on track right now, so I should take advantage of it and get this done before life gets crazy again. No fun, though.
      Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
      Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
      Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

My goal is to get to the gym three times a week I'm hoping that is much easier now that Adele is 1 and doesn't need a reservation for the childcare. We made it twice last week which was pretty good since we didn't even get home until late Monday night.
        Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

I need to lose 5 more pounds and TONE the HELL out of my "post baby at 37/C sections suck" body.
          I fit into my "hip" jeans but if it were bathing suit season -- SCARY. (insert thunderstorm sound and crazy man laughing in background)

Soooooo....I am going to work out three to four days a week, eat healthier and watch my portions.
          I refuse to give up wine though. No way. Since we basically have everything I need IN our house, the only thing stopping me is wacky nap times and, ME. I was doing great September through NOvember, then took three weeks off in December due to guests and the holidays.

NOW I NEED TO GET BACK ON TRACK!!
          Flynn

Wife to post training CT surgeon; mother of three kids ages 17, 15, and 11.

“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” —Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets " Albus Dumbledore

Comment

Let's see, I plan on gaining about 25 more pounds and getting an enormous gut. :huh:

Kelly
            In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Originally posted by houseelf
              Let's see, I plan on gaining about 25 more pounds and getting an enormous gut. :huh:

Kelly

You crack me up Kelly! There was a weight loss challenge going on at work over the holiday season and I was told I couldn't participate. Personally, I thought it was unfair because you got $10 bucks just for signing up! Oh well, my goal is to gain another 5 or so pounds and then drop about 15 in one day about 5 weeks from now.

Truthfully, I need to be back into my pre-pregnancy clothes about 6-8 wks post partum. I cannot afford to buy new clothes to go back to work until we move for residency.
              Kris

Comment

Me too! Me too! I started back on Weight Watchers last week, but I gained 5 pounds in November/December, so while I've lost 2 so far, I'm still more than I was in October. My goal is to lose 20-25 pounds before our cruise, which is March 29th. I've been doing weight training as well as cardio, so hopefully I won't be as jiggly in awkward places.

If I can lose at least 15 pounds, I'll be in the healthy BMI range, so I'll be very happy with that. I haven't been there since early college! Confession - at my first job (very stressful, lots of business travel), I got up in the obese range, so I'm really looking forward to being rid of all of that weight.
                Laurie
                My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

I have to have a tangible goal so I've decided to train (running this time!!) for the San Antonio marathon in November. It remains to be seen whether I'll end up focusing on the half or the whole. I also would like to get to the gym for strength training or pilates a few days a week. Man, 5:30 am is EARLY but it's the only doable time.

So that's it. If I end up losing weight/getting more toned, it'll be a by product of the training. (and now I'm expecting to hear Kelly laughing in the background after I swore not once but twice that I'd never do another marathon again...)

Jenn

Comment

My goal is to make sure that yoga class is a priority. Every time I consistently go to class the back aches & pains go away, I sleep better, feel more energized and end up toning/losing weight. Sooooo, why don't I go all the time? Because life happens and other things pop up during class time and I end up telling myself that I will just do yoga at home blah-blah -blah. Well when I do my "postures" at home, I never hold them for as long as I should, never go through all of them (there are some I hate doing) or just end up doing something else (like cleaning) and then it is time to go to bed.

So, I will go to class at least 2 times a week. There I said it for all the world wide web to see.
                    Finally - we are finished with training! Hello real world!!

Comment

I actually have eating goals this year, not exercise:

1) To eat fish once/week (frozen from Trader Joe's or at least tuna from a can!)
                      2) To eat vegetarian once/week

And since there's no marathoning this fall (wedding/honeymoon instead), going to try for a couple of halves.

I'm in awe of people who stick with yoga, I'm so bad about it because I'm so not flexible and it hurts and it makes me whiny!
                      Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
                      Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

Weights: I've been working with a personal trainer for a few weeks now, I'm going to continue seeing him 3x week until I meet my goals.

Cardio: Like Jenn, I needed a goal. I've got a few 5Ks in the spring, but the biggie is the Wineglass Marathon in October. (Finger Lakes region)

Food: I usually try and avoid white stuff, but since Thanksgiving I've been PIGGING out. The last cookie was eaten today so I'm committed to laying off the stuff now. Yipes.

Greyhound Jen - I have an ex like that! Do you want to drop-kick him or what?!

Comment

Originally posted by Ladybug
                          Ballet kicks my butt and it's fun to do.
                          Glad to see someone else feels this way. I did the adult ballet classes last year and they would kick my behind - worse than yoga or pilates ever have. I kept thinking it was because I had not been in a class since college...um...15 yrs ago.
                          Finally - we are finished with training! Hello real world!!

Comment

Originally posted by medpedspouse
                            Originally posted by Ladybug
                            Ballet kicks my butt and it's fun to do.
                            Glad to see someone else feels this way. I did the adult ballet classes last year and they would kick my behind - worse than yoga or pilates ever have. I kept thinking it was because I had not been in a class since college...um...15 yrs ago.
                            I did a ballet class during my senior year of college and first year of grad school through the university. It was fantastic. I sucked, but the class was great. I had no pretentions of being a dancer and was taking just to maintain some sort of phyical activity. The instructor actually said it wasn't really the class for me , but I explained that it counted towards graduation and that I just needed the exercise and he was okay with me staying. I ended up taking the level one and level 2 classes two years in a row (mostly because there was no way I was qualified to go on to the level 3 and 4 classes! hehehe)

I so want to take ballet again.
                            Kris

Comment

Originally posted by medpedspouse
                              My goal is to make sure that yoga class is a priority. Every time I consistently go to class the back aches & pains go away, I sleep better, feel more energized and end up toning/losing weight. Sooooo, why don't I go all the time? Because life happens and other things pop up during class time and I end up telling myself that I will just do yoga at home blah-blah -blah. Well when I do my "postures" at home, I never hold them for as long as I should, never go through all of them (there are some I hate doing) or just end up doing something else (like cleaning) and then it is time to go to bed.

So, I will go to class at least 2 times a week. There I said it for all the world wide web to see.
                              I'm the same way, I need my 2x a week yoga class to keep my mind and body happy. Plus I hope the cutting down on meat and dairy and upping veggies and tofu will help too. I go for the blood work next week, wish me luck.

Comment

Working...
                              X