Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Why the BMI is Bogus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why the BMI is Bogus

I've often thought the BMI measurement and reliance on it had an scoop of BS about it, especially when our pediatrician said our 3 year old had a concerning BMI. Same for a one pound difference making me all of a sudden overweight.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...39&sc=fb&cc=fp

Interesting read. I too have questioned its reliability. According to BMI, my DH, who has larger bones and naturally carries more muscle, qualified as overweight even at his leanest. He’d have to lose a limb to be within BMI’s healthy range.

Comment

BMI doesn't work for DrK either. He'd be grossly obese if we applied BMI weight standards to his frame even at his leanest. Our GP told us that they'd pretty much have to put him in a tank of water and do a displacement test to really know his body mass index.
      Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

Why not go for more scientifically sound means of evaluating our bodies when we can check our BMIs on the Wii Fit? Thanks for posting this!
        married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

I have always thought it seemed rediculous - especially since men and women use the same index... that doesn't seem right for men to be the same weight as a woman of the same height. Not to mention that muscle weighs more than fat, so you could be totally out of shape and still have a "healthy" BMI and a muscular person is going to most likely be "overweight."
          Loving wife of neurosurgeon

Comment

Oh I hate the BMI. I think it is a big load of crap. There are so many things that they do not take into consideration. Back in my home state (Arkansas) I know the started talking about putting the BMI of the child on report cards. We moved (big surprise) before the decision was made. I have a really good friend who is about my height (5 foot) and weights like 170 lbs. But she is ALL muscle. Her BMI would be off the chart, but she is not overwieght by any means. I remember from one of my college elective classes, Food and Nutrition, that BMI was useless. They had some other way of doing it, I don't recall right off.
            Brandi
            Wife to PGY3 Rads also proud mother of three spoiled dogs!! Some days it is hectic, but I wouldn't trade this for anything.

Comment

ugh. I hate BMI. I've always been 'heavy' even when thin.
              Wife to Hand Surgeon just out of training, mom to two lovely kittys and little boy, O, born in Sept 08.

Comment

another hater of the BMI!
                Cranky Wife to a Peds EM in private practice. Mom to 5 girls - 1 in Heaven and 4 running around in princess shoes.

Comment

Originally posted by alison View Post
                  Why not go for more scientifically sound means of evaluating our bodies when we can check our BMIs on the Wii Fit? Thanks for posting this!
                  My Wii fit: "You're obese" But it says it with such a perky little voice!
                  Danielle
                  Wife of a sexy Radiologist and mom to TWO adorable little boys!

Comment

Originally posted by Tenacious_D View Post
                    My Wii fit: "You're obese" But it says it with such a perky little voice!
                    Brandi
                    Wife to PGY3 Rads also proud mother of three spoiled dogs!! Some days it is hectic, but I wouldn't trade this for anything.

Comment

Originally posted by bokelley View Post
                      I always heard it as "that's obese!"
                      married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

Working...
                      X