Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Personal trainers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Personal trainers

What do they cost, and how often do you see them? Some of the girl I know have them, and say it makes a huge difference. I am just trying to get toned. I am running, count cals and playing tennis. But I still don't seems to be making a ton of progress.
    Brandi
    Wife to PGY3 Rads also proud mother of three spoiled dogs!! Some days it is hectic, but I wouldn't trade this for anything.

It does make a huge difference, but they are pricey! It's about $60/hr (minimum). You might try just a couple sessions to set up a routine, and, more importantly, to know that you're using the proper form, etc. Holding weights right, bending right, etc. make ALL the difference in the world, and it's not always (or usually in my case) an intuitive thing. I used a trainer before my wedding (and she became a dear friend), and I still use the form she taught me .... when I get my butt to the gym.

Comment

I have a trainer and she's $63/hr. I see her twice a week because when I was only seeing her once a week, I wasn't noticing any results. My plan is to continue with her until the end of May when we move.
      Jen
      Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

Brandi - I know that they are pretty expensive. What about switching up what activities you are doing. Can you add something like power yoga or pilates? Both will give you a slight cardio workout but focus on increasing muscle tone. I lurve pilates. I never used to understand how laying on a mat and using small weights (5lbs or less), a resistance band and exercise ball could provide such an effective workout. Try getting a video from the library.

Switch up your running - add sprints, change your route. www.mapmyrun.com is a great resource, it will even show you elevation changes in your route.
        Kris

Comment

Just like anything - do some research before shelling out the $$ for a trainer. I have used them off and on and have found some that are awesome - help with diet, form, general wellbeing-health and others who take a 2 week course and call themselves certified (I actually got physically hurt working with this trainer). From my esperience, I found the discrepancy to be where I train. Trainers at a big gym that is looking to make the most $ tend to be less experienced and more expenssive than trainers associated with an educational institution's rec center. My first trainer was working on his Ph.D and was always doing research with other trainers on exercise,nutrition, etc.
          Finally - we are finished with training! Hello real world!!

Comment

Have you thought about a local boot camp or a program like P90x--weren't you doing that already, though?
            Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Yea I tried P90X, but I stopped that. I just do not do well with programs at home. Local boot camp would be fun!!
              Brandi
              Wife to PGY3 Rads also proud mother of three spoiled dogs!! Some days it is hectic, but I wouldn't trade this for anything.

Comment

Working...
              X