Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

heart rate monitor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• heart rate monitor

I think I want to get an inexpensive hr monitor, but I have no idea what to look for. I am sure that the calorie counts on loseit are fairly inacurate and the HRM on the new treadmill must be on crack because there is no way my pulse is only 68bpm after 15 minutes of running.

I would prefer strapless and something that would acurately calculate calories based on my height, weight, gender, etc. Play It Again Sports has something like this for $35.00 (looks similar, not sure if it is the exact same model). Is it a good deal?
    Kris

No advice on the specific HRM since I went all out and got an expensive Polar monitor a couple of years ago. I thought I'd use it as a motivational tool. Ask me how many times I've used it. I can probably count it on the fingers of one hand. I'd say go cheap at first to see if you're really committed to using one, but I'd probably skip it altogether.

ETA: One of the biggest reasons I stopped using it was because I found myself more focused on trying to keep my heart rate in a certain range than on simply working out. It drove me crazy. If you really, really want to know how many calories you're burning, it's probably a useful tool. *shrug*
    Last edited by MissCrabette; 01-04-2011, 03:29 PM.
    Cristina
    IM PGY-2

Comment

The thing about the strapless ones is I've heard it gets pretty annoying to try and check while you are working out. It really isn't going to be much accurate than anything else is since it cant consistently have access to your heart rate to include it in the calculation.

I've had my Polar F6 (counts calories) for 9 months and I use it every time I work out. It is about $100, so if you aren't wanting to spend much, it is probably out. It definitely gives different calorie counts than Sparkpeople and seems reasonable based on my heart rates. I actually like the chest strap--I find it very comfortable and usually forget I am wearing it. Seeing the calorie count really motivates me.
      Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

I have a polar one that all the machines at the gym pick up; I put the strap on under my jogbra, and don't even have to have the watch part; the treadmill/elliptical/step machines will keep track for me. The strap really isn't that big of a deal (except when it's freezing cold when you put it on!).
        Sandy
        Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

Agree with the polar one, you really can't feel it either

Comment

Yep, I can't recommend the Polar F6 enough, IF you're going to use it. How about this one as a less expensive alternative? http://www.amazon.com/Omron-HR-100C-...dp/B000A5CEUO/
            Cristina
            IM PGY-2

Comment

Check out Sears! That is where I got my Polar monitor. It was like $40 bucks on sale - it has the strap and the watch. I turned off the audible alarm for when I am "out of the zone" because my HR runs high anyway. I use it simply to tell me how many cals I burned during a workout (probably should start wearing it again!).
              Jen
              Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

You're in luck! Target has one on sale this week--it has a band and counts calories. It's on sale for $45. If it works, that is a sweet deal. I paid $100 for my Polar with the same options

http://www.target.com/Balance-Heart-...n&frombrowse=0
                Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Crap - I had a reply nearly completed and my browser shut down.

I ended up get a mid-range (to me) model at Sears. It has the chest strap which isn't noticable at all when I am exercising. I thought it would be annoying, but it isn't. I like the fact that I could input my height/weight/sex/age so that it can more accurately calculate calories burned. It turns out there is a huge discrepancy between the HRM and the treadmill, like 25% or more.
                  Kris

Comment

Glad you found something! I always found that the treadmill gave me a higher calorie count. I usually take 50 calories off whatever I burned

Comment

I saw that in the Target circular and wondered about it. I have the Mio watch, but honestly it's a pita to use because I have to press my fingers on it to get a reading and it doesn't always work well. I would like a continuous monitor.

The pants you mentioned in another thread - are those the C9 ones they had advertised this week? I tried a C9 sports bra and LOVE IT. Works and fits just as great as my Nike ones.

Comment

The pants you mentioned in another thread - are those the C9 ones they had advertised this week? I tried a C9 sports bra and LOVE IT. Works and fits just as great as my Nike ones.
                        Yup...They are on sale for $15 this week too! I tried on the semi-fitted and fitted...couldn't decide so I got both! I like them better for lounging than my Yoga pants because they seem to fit a little better...I bet they would be great for the pregnant ladies out there too. I love the C9 brand at Target as well. Most of my workout gear comes from there.

Comment

Working...
                        X