Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Protein Powder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Protein Powder

Anybody use this in shakes, etc.? I threw some year-old stuff out today and don't know what to get next. It's pretty pricey, so I don't want to just "guess."

I stay away from the soy based powders and usually get the whey stuff, but beyond that, no clue.
    Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

I LOVE the chocolate Hydro-whey!!! It's yummy. I mix it with soy milk because my tummy doesn't like a lot of lactose, but I heard it's also tasty with milk. You can also toss the powder, milk, and a banana in the blender...

Now I'm going to need to make myself one
    Jen
    Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

I know I am going to sound like an idiot, but what is the point of protein powder.? Is it a meal replacement? We never have it in gymnastics because of the calories.
      Brandi
      Wife to PGY3 Rads also proud mother of three spoiled dogs!! Some days it is hectic, but I wouldn't trade this for anything.

Comment

My dh uses it after he works out to "build up the muscles" more. It can be a meal replacement. I don't like whey and I've never been one to replace a meal lol. He uses muscle milk powder and blends it in the magic bullet. I guess he likes it... But he's also been known to use creatine. I just roll my eyes. Exactly how big does a bicep need to be hun? But it is nice to scare off dd's boyfriends lol. She has a pic of him flexing on her phone. Her current bf said "I'm never gonna meet your dad". Too funny.
        Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

I've wondered if I could mix protein powder into pancakes or bread.... I really really don't like milkshakes, and I'm always looking for non-meat ways to get protein.
          Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

Originally posted by diggitydot
            I'd just be thrilled to be able to walk/jog/run sans limp after 2 miles. My goals are obviously not high.
            you and me both.
            Kris

Comment

I've wondered if I could mix protein powder into pancakes or bread.... I really really don't like milkshakes, and I'm always looking for non-meat ways to get protein.
              You can! I have a recipe for protein powder pancakes...need to dig it up. Not the tastiest thing ever, but not bad.

I'm trying 2-a-days this week and adding back in some P90X workouts to see if my stupid-wont-drop-a-dang-pound body will respond. I like adding the protein shake in for these...they seem intense enough and I keep it within my calorie counts.

DH used Nesquick as a recovery shake...I just cant get behind that.
              Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Nesquick? I could get behind something chocolaty...
                Kris

Comment

Protein is very important- protein should really be a part of every meal.

My current favorite is Isopure. It's a whey protein isolate. I too can't handle lactose or anything that tastes like "milk" so I've NEVER been able to stomach the vanilla and chocolate shakes, but what I've found to really like is the Mango Peach Isopure, or the Alpine Punch. I take sugar free Crystal Light and pour it into the protein, get lots of ice and shake it up with some water. It is actually quite tasty!

Just as an FYI, a consumer study group found high levels of cadmium, lead, mercury, etc in many brands, including EAS and Muscle Milk. It might be why some taste "chemicals." :-/
                  http://www.nowpublic.com/health/prot...s-2624518.html

With regards to getting more protein, has anyone ever tried pasteurized egg whites? This is my SO's newest way to maximize his protein intake (he's a supplement junkie). The egg whites are heated enough to kill bacteria, but not enough to cook the egg. They're tasteless and odorless with the consistency of water. I haven't personally tried it, but I think a cup of this would be great in a shake with some frozen berries... once I get over the fact that it's liquid egg whites.
                  http://www.eggwhitesint.com/

Comment

Jay Robb's Protein Powder is based on egg whites. Too expensive for me, though

Comment

Yes, egg protein is supposed to be the best but it is definitely expensive...

From the egg website:

What Is The Protein Benefit of Egg Whites?

Egg White protein is the purest form of protein known to man in the entire world. Each 8-ounce cup gives you 26 grams of pure protein, only 2 grams of carbohydrates, NO fat and NO cholesterol. They are 100% bio-available, which means NONE of it's amino acids are wasted. No artificial protein powder can make that claim. Other high protein sourced foods and supplements need to be broken down before the body absorbs the protein. All natural products have always been the recommended way to get the nutrients your body needs.

Comment

I take protein bars with milkshakes instead of powder. Most of the time I grind it in milkshakes. When I make raspberry or chocolate milkshakes, I add protein candies of the same flavor. It tastes good to me. You guys can try it.
                        P.S. I use protein bars of the built bar and I buy through
                        built bar coupons to get discounts.

Comment

Working...
                        X