Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

I want to run!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by v-girl View Post
    Not ready for full c25k. Made it 1/2 way through day 1. Can't breath. I might die. Leaning on bed bc can't stand upright.
    Me too. Go slower. Walk slower. Jog slower. Make the first workouts have less jogging time. That's what I'm going to do.

Brisk five-minute warmup walk. Then alternate 30 seconds of jogging and 120 seconds of walking for a total of 20 minutes.

Then when ready:

Brisk five-minute warmup walk. Then alternate 45 seconds of jogging and 105 seconds of walking for a total of 20 minutes.

The other plan is too advanced for me, and I can't make it through. So, I think I will modify to start out so thaty lungs can handle it, and I don't get discouraged.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

I'll try that. Thanks! I'm going to do it again tomorrow.
      Veronica
      Mother of two ballerinas and one wild boy

Comment

WAY TO GO GUYS!!!
        It is all about being active!
        Brandi
        Wife to PGY3 Rads also proud mother of three spoiled dogs!! Some days it is hectic, but I wouldn't trade this for anything.

Comment

Both of you - make sure that you are jogging slowly enough, it is really hard to gauge your speed, but you should be able to talk while you are running.
          Kris

Comment

I can barely talk while walking. Did I mention my "score" on the spirometer (sp?) was 65%? LOL
            Veronica

Comment

V - then spend a few weeks working on that before starting C25K. The asthma needs to be controlled first though.
              Kris

Comment

Here are a few tips from me. I've struggled with allergies, severe asthma and exercise induced asthma all my life. I've only recently gotten it under control in the past few years.
                - if your given a preventative inhaler, take it religiously
                - take your rescue inhaler 15-20 minutes before exercise, don't wait till you need it
                - consider allergy shots
                - although you should be able to talk while running, this has never really been applicable to me
                - for others run/walking may work, but it may not work for you, as I find that my lungs tighten up as soon as I start walking. Therefore I find it more helpful to slow down (even to a bobbing walk) in order to catch your breath.
                - start slow and with short times/distances, 10 minutes, eventually 15 and 20
                - listen to your body
                - use heating pads or ibprofen for your chest soreness
                Loving wife of neurosurgeon

Comment

Had 2 week check up with dr this morning. No running until asthma is under control. Sigh.
                  Veronica

Comment

So started back running today (after 1 week off due to a nasty cold) OMG it was so hard!! I could only go half the time.
                    Brandi
                    Wife to PGY3 Rads also proud mother of three spoiled dogs!! Some days it is hectic, but I wouldn't trade this for anything.

Comment

Yay for getting back to it! I didn't work out today. I'm coming down with a cold and it was rainy and 48 out. Didn't think that would be a good combo. I hoping to walk at least 3 miles tomorrow.
                      Veronica

Comment

Glad to see I'm not the only one starting down this road... I started the "5k 101" program today. I'm not familiar with C25K but I'm assuming it's something similar from how everyone's described it. I've never been a big fan of running (kinda hate it, actually), but I feel like it's one of the best ways to get in shape quickly. I'm determined to get myself to the point where I can actually run in a 5k race. That will be a GIGANTIC accomplishment for me. Good luck!!
                        Attorney, wife to EM attending, mom to two girls (ages 5 and 2)

Comment

Originally posted by JC76 View Post
                          I've never been a big fan of running (kinda hate it, actually), but I feel like it's one of the best ways to get in shape quickly. I'm determined to get myself to the point where I can actually run in a 5k race. That will be a GIGANTIC accomplishment for me. Good luck!!
                          Me too! I ran the length of 21 trees today. A new high for me. I should measure that with my car. I would guess it's between 1/8 - 1/6 of a mile. I did about a 14 minute/mile walking and jogging. I am so out of shape, but I'm determined to get to the point where I can run a 5K.
                          Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

Originally posted by Vanquisher View Post
                            Me too! I ran the length of 21 trees today. A new high for me. I should measure that with my car. I would guess it's between 1/8 - 1/6 of a mile. I did about a 14 minute/mile walking and jogging. I am so out of shape, but I'm determined to get to the point where I can run a 5K.
                            Running is definitely a love-hate thing for me. The days I can get up and out the door I love it, it makes me feel better and I think more clearly. The days I don't want to go, I hate it.
                            So most of the time I cycle between running regularly to running sporadically to not running at all. Somethings better than nothing, right?

Comment

Working...
                            X