Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Another running question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another running question

So my training has gone pretty well, I'm SLOW but I am up to about 10 miles. (1 month until the half marathon). I haven't had any pain/discomfort up until recently. In the beginning I had the occasional shin splints but those seem to have passed. This week I've noticed that my calves and shins KILL the first 20-25 minutes of my run. It was really bad last night and I almost didn't keep going. After about 25 minutes they loosened up and seemed to be fine.

I guess the obvious answer is to ice and take IBProfen but I was just wondering if anyone had any advice?

And should I get a bucket and soak them in cold water? I guess I should have done this immediately after my run?

I'm also going to try to get back to eating more bananas.

Advice please?
    Loving wife of neurosurgeon

If you're eating bananas for the potassium, eat summer squash, or bell peppers. (At least this is what I've heard) http://www.kimkins.com/need-potassiu...-bananas-oj-2/
    Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

How are your shoes? Have you upped your mileage quickly? Those two things caused me to have shin splints.

I bought a coldpack/strap from wal-mart and would ice it the night before and in the morning after my run. Really seemed to help and the strap that held the cold pack in place meant I could walk around and not have to just sit there.
      Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Originally posted by SoonerTexan View Post
        How are your shoes? Have you upped your mileage quickly? Those two things caused me to have shin splints.

I bought a coldpack/strap from wal-mart and would ice it the night before and in the morning after my run. Really seemed to help and the strap that held the cold pack in place meant I could walk around and not have to just sit there.

The last month has been my greatest jump in time/mileage. Two weekends ago I did 2 hours 12 minutes, this weekend, I only did an hour and 48 minutes, (because I had a rough week emotionally) and in anticipation of trying to do 2 hours and 24 or 36 minutes this weekend.

I bought a new pair of running shoes, about a month ago, and have been using those for my short runs, and using my older shoes (had about a year, but only been running seriously for about 5 months). I'm worried about switching to my new shoes for long runs until I've broken them in further. But now that I think about it, the last two runs have been in my old shoes.

I'll have to go get one of those icepacks... part of my problem is that I don't want to sit around and ice... perhaps that would be a good option for me.

Comment

Wow. First off, congrats. Second ... thanks for asking the question. I actually ended up doing a short walk yesterday instead of my measly week 2/day3 of C25K (I'm such a loser, I know! LOL) What holds me back is truly the unbelievable pain in my calves. I just can't seem to get past it. I bought new running shoes for myself and they are really comfortable. I don't think they are the problem. For me, I'm guessing it is just the newness of exercising again at all after hibernating all winter. I feel like I could job more (I go pretty slowly) if it wasn't for the pain.

I did start out by doing the C25K and adding 1 hour of walking on top of that each day ... and maybe i was over-doing for my personal physical fitness. I'm going to try the icepacks and ibuprofen!

Kris
          ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
          ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

I bought a new pair of running shoes, about a month ago, and have been using those for my short runs, and using my older shoes (had about a year, but only been running seriously for about 5 months). I'm worried about switching to my new shoes for long runs until I've broken them in further. But now that I think about it, the last two runs have been in my old shoes.
            That's probably it. You'd be surprised how quickly those suckers wear out!
            Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Wore my newer shoes Sunday and I have been wrapping icepacks from my knees and shins down to my ankles. (I just used ace bandage to keep them in place because I couldn't find the icepacks with the straps).

Anyways my legs have been MUCH better! Thanks!

Comment

Working...
              X