Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Elevated Cholesterol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elevated Cholesterol

I recently had some routine bloodwork done and my cholesterol came back borderline high (231). My LDL and triglycerides are high. I don't have a history of it in my family, and medications aren't necessary at this point and time.

I've started to modify my diet further to include both types of fiber and lower my intake of saturated fats. We already eat a lot of lean protein, veggies/fruit, and whole grains/low amounts of refined products. And I've gotten back into the gym in the past month, so I know my physical activity is up and that will also help.

I guess my question for everyone is: has anyone been able to lower their cholesterol on diet and exercise alone? I'm just a little worried that it won't go down on its own and it will require meds at some point.
    Event coordinator, wife and therapist to a peds attending

I dropped mine from 170ish to 145 by losing weight and exercising. I wasn't that worried about my cholesterol though, as it is obviously really low. I have good cholesterol genes. It is possible, and I hope you don't have to go on meds!
    Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

DH lowered his almost 100 points with diet and exercise changes. There's a significant family history on his side for ridiculous lipid levels, so he took it very seriously.

Comment

What was your glucose, and how high were your triglycerides?
        Luanne
        wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Thanks Vanquisher and diggity, that info makes me feel a lot better! I know I can do it, but the "real life" stories make feel it is really and truly doable.

Meenah - total cholesterol: 231, triglycerides: 150, LDL: 154. I'm trying to interpret a LabCorp report, so Glucose, Serum: 84, and there was no Glucose in my urinalysis. If there is other terminology I should look for, let me know. Oh, my T4 came back slightly elevated as well, but we think that is because I'm taking a hormonal BC.
          Event coordinator, wife and therapist to a peds attending

Comment

Diet and exercise didn't work that well for me, I'll need to go on the meds at some point. But my cholesterol is inherited, so not sure if that makes a difference.

Comment

Working...
            X