Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Would this help you lose weight?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would this help you lose weight?

I was reading some fitness site and they suggested people with big weight loss goals try this for motivation.... maybe humiliation? I'm not sure.

http://www.poundpuncher.com/

Basically it's a bracelet you buy with the numbers 2, 4, 6, 8, and 10 on it. Next to each number is a little hole. A button with 'lbs' printed on it is what you place in each hole according to what amount of weight loss you are currently at. After you drop 10 pounds, you start all over again. I like the idea, but what if someone asked me about it? Would this motivate you, or would it end up in the trash after a week?
    Wife to PGY5. Mommy to baby girl born 11/2009. Cat mommy since 2002
    "“If you don't know where you are going any road can take you there”"

Meh, wouldn't motivate me.
    Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

Originally posted by scrub-jay View Post
      Meh, wouldn't motivate me.
      Me neither. It may work if you were competing with friends or something??
      Jen
      Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

No. Results motivate me. It's costing more than we can really afford, but I'm doing it anyway because for the first time, I'm seeing real results. That's what motivates me.
        Veronica
        Mother of two ballerinas and one wild boy

Comment

Do any of you track your weight loss anywhere? Like on a website or ap? I guess this is appealing to me (a little) because I get something from seeing the visual weight loss number in front of me. For example, I've lost some weight this year but I feel no different at all. My friends have to tell me (very firmly) when it's time to wear smaller sizes. Without the WL trackers online I wouldn't have any sense of accomplishment. Before online tracking I would keep a journal. Hummm. Maybe I really do need to order it! LOL!
          Wife to PGY5. Mommy to baby girl born 11/2009. Cat mommy since 2002
          "“If you don't know where you are going any road can take you there”"

Comment

We use(d) Loseit.com
            Jen
            Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

I have used lose it but... I haven't entered weights on there. It's just a food log for me but it has that functionality. I use it sporadically too lol!

It's frustrating bc with adding exercise Means you add muscle. Your body might change (firm up) but you don't necessarily see big changes on the scale...

Anyway, the bracelets would def not work for me. I don't like to wear anything in my wrist though.
              Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

It might work for me, too. I like when I hit milestones, and getting those stars on WW was pretty motivating for me. I'm not sure whether I'd wear the bracelet, though. I think I'd get annoyed explaining it or if it get sweaty.
                Laurie
                My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

if the cuff somehow acted as a sort of restraint from the cookie jar, maybe....
                  In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Quantifying things helps me, and recording them helps me, but sharing does not (as I have learned from repeated experience). So I am on loseit, but I cut all my friends when I started it back up in August. I think statistically you're supposed to do better with support, but . . . not me for whatever reason.

The other thing about the bracelet is I really need a more linear picture of where I'm at, and the starting-over-every-ten-pounds thing is a more circular concept of weight loss that doesn't really fit for me.
                    Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
                    Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
                    Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

It would irritate the shit out of me for multiple reasons. The biggest one is that I hate wearing anything on my wrists, particularly something that ugly.

Comment

I track my weight on LoseIt now, but only weight. If I track food, I tend to try to eat every cal allowed instead of only eating when I'm hungry.
                        Veronica
                        Mother of two ballerinas and one wild boy

Comment

I love using loseit for tracking my weight, exercise, and food.

Comment

Originally posted by houseelf View Post
                            if the cuff somehow acted as a sort of restraint from the cookie jar, maybe....
                            LOL, so true! Kind of cracks me up that it helps track how much weight you've lost, like you'd really need help remembering that
                            Tara
                            Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

I don't think I'd use it. I can see it working kind of like a star chart for grown ups though. And I don't mind things on my wrists.

I've been using the Fitbit pedometer and their website. I haven't tracked the weight part of it though -- it's there, I just never enter it. I track the calories and the activity level each week. I worry I would grow depressed if the scale wasn't budging. I've been exercising a LOT though so I pat myself on the back for that. I wish I could consistently stay below my "weight loss calorie goal". I'm usually riding the limit each day and sometimes go over. At least I set it on "moderately difficult" (for faster weight loss) so maybe even if I'm "failing" I'll still eventually lose something.
                              Angie
                              Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
                              Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

Working...
                              X