Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Steroids and appetitie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steroids and appetitie

I've been on predinisone for several days and noticed that today my appetite has suddenly grown. I knew this was bound to happen, so I bought myself a ton of veggies so that I wouldn't gain weight. Veggies = no go. I ate through them all afternoon and now I'm working on a serving of dorito chips/dip. I just feel ravenous for certain types of food. After a couple of months of being 'good' I can't stop thinking about french fries, cheeseburgers, potatoes, ..... I can't figure out if this is real or psychological and how to manage it.

Because my initial dose was too 'conservative' I've been changed up to a higher dose and now the time frame has increased by double.

I don't care about the mood swings that come with prednisone. Don't mind having trouble sleeping. DO. MIND. weight gain. I am feeling really upset that I'm so hungry.

Can people who've been on steroids and have successfully gotten through the desire to binge eat please share their tips? I know we've discussed this before...I need encouragement though.

Kris
    ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
    ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Oh, hon. What a PITA.

Would maybe something protein-based help the cravings? Homemade hummus with your veggies, maybe?

Comment

I've never been on steroids, so no help here. Fat is very satiating, have you tried high fat/adequate protein/zero starch or sugar foods? I'm wondering if that will "turn off" the trigger, so to speak. I don't think this is psychological, as you've been down this road before.

How long do have you to take them?

Comment

Does a tablespoon of peanut butter do anything for you?
        Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

I've been on prednisone a gazillion times and anything over 40mg q day makes me ravenous. I can remember double-fisting cheeseburgers when I was on 80mg q day years ago. I feel your pain.

Have you tried Boost Plus shakes? Not being able to swallow solids the past 7 weeks has forced me to find a new way to eat, because otherwise my very-hungry tummy wakes me up at night. I drink 2 Boost 360 cal shakes per day in between eating yogurt and soup, and they really help keep me full for a few hours.

Married to a peds surgeon attending

Comment

Im in 60. Boohoo. I see noncompliance in my future. Hopefully no er trip. :/ IM tried to accommodate my 'no steroids' request with 20 mg but it didn't do much.
            Last edited by PrincessFiona; 12-22-2011, 07:04 PM.

Comment

Ps. I've had wine. Disregard my negativity.

Comment

I've been on it frequently but never for more than a week. In general helpful tips for me are to drink lots (tea or water) and also increase the protein and fiber. Maybe apples with melted peanut butter, high fiber tortillas toasted with hummus, grapes (or fruits high in water), and light popcorn. These things leave me feeling fuller and allow me to "chew/eat" without much damage calorie-wise. Also try and keep your hands busy/distracted. Get out of the house if you can.
                Loving wife of neurosurgeon

Comment

Oh yuck! I'm scarred! I just started on this medication today. I'm only on it for 5 days. Will I gain alot even if I keep my eating in check or does the med just make you want to eat like crazy? I took 50mg today.

Sorry you are having some many bad food cravings!! Want me to come over and wire your mouth shut? I'll never forget the time I got braces and dropped 30 pounds. Times like these makes you wish for a human mussel.

HUGSSSSSSSS!!
                  Wife to PGY5. Mommy to baby girl born 11/2009. Cat mommy since 2002
                  "“If you don't know where you are going any road can take you there”"

Comment

I think short term 5 day tapers (as are typical with respiratory episodes) don't really effect much wrt weight gain. I think it's the long term px that's the problem.

Kris I'm so sorry. Does this mean you've been having more breathing problems? Hugs.
                    Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

I am feeling so much better today. I have been so miserable this week but this morning I woke up feeling better than I have in three weeks. I am so relieved that it now feels worth it. I had to be seen this week because I woke up in the middle of the night with trouble breathing and couldn't even talk without gasping through....it was so awful and I started feeling so depressed. I had been struggling for several weeks but I let it go. Sometimes it gets better on its own. Not this time.

I think Im ready to stick with it. Ill have to make a food plan. I let myself pig out yesterday. Lol. Today I am going to go back to the medifast but I will add extra snacks.

Kris

Comment

I'm glad today is better. Hugs to you!
                        Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

Working...
                        X