Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Great online health calculators

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great online health calculators

Here's a good link to a calorie calculator. If you look to right you'll see a light blue box with other health calculators like Ideal Body Weight, Calories Burned, etc. I need to be 125-129lbs? Really? I'm screwed!

http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm
    Wife to PGY5. Mommy to baby girl born 11/2009. Cat mommy since 2002
    "“If you don't know where you are going any road can take you there”"

This is pretty cool. Thank you!

Comment

That's a pretty neat website!

Comment

I don't like that website. The Ideal Body Weight calculator says I should be 98-102 pounds!
        ~Jane

-Wife of urology attending.
        -SAHM to three great kiddos (2 boys, 1 girl!)

Comment

Originally posted by migirl View Post
          I don't like that website. The Ideal Body Weight calculator says I should be 98-102 pounds!
          I'm going to agree with you on that! I think I would have an eating disorder if I got down to the ideal they told me!! They want me to weigh less than I did in high school when I was a size 1...

Comment

I always have a hard time with calorie calculators. If I take in anywhere near their recs for weight loss, I'll gain because it's still about 800 calories more than I usually consume.

I have a ridiculously low metabolism.

Comment

Originally posted by migirl View Post
              Now that is crazy! How tall are you??

Comment

I bet the ideal body weight is based on BMI which I don't think is a good tool because it doesn't factor in muscle or things like boobs. I know several people who would look unhealthy if they were in the right BMI range. In fact I think it had DH categorized as overweight which is rediculous!

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
                Loving wife of neurosurgeon

Comment

Make sure you adjust the body frame selection when you calculate ideal weight. I wasn't paying attention the first time and left it on the default and the ideal weight it gave me was equivalent to what I weighed in 10th grade . When I set it to large frame (which I am - wasn't just trying to make myself feel better ) it was more reasonable. Not that I'm actually IN that ideal range at the moment, but I was this past summer and I would have considered myself to be at an ideal weight at that point. One of my best friends is the same height as me but she has a very small frame and the range it gave me when I selected "small" for the frame size was dead on what she weighs. If I weighed what she weighs I'd look skeletal.
                  Wife of a surgical fellow; Mom to a busy toddler girl and 5 furballs (2 cats, 3 dogs)

Comment

Originally posted by MarissaNicole View Post
                    I bet the ideal body weight is based on BMI which I don't think is a good tool because it doesn't factor in muscle or things like boobs. I know several people who would look unhealthy if they were in the right BMI range. In fact I think it had DH categorized as overweight which is rediculous!

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
                    I agree, you always have to take these things with a grain of salt. DH was a college athlete and these kinds of calculators always said he was overweight too. He wasn't even CLOSE to overweight, he was 2% bodyfat!
                    Wife of a surgical fellow; Mom to a busy toddler girl and 5 furballs (2 cats, 3 dogs)

Comment

Originally posted by niener View Post
                      I agree, you always have to take these things with a grain of salt. DH was a college athlete and these kinds of calculators always said he was overweight too. He wasn't even CLOSE to overweight, he was 2% bodyfat!
                      Word. DH is the same way. BMI is only accurate for people of average height and build. You get towards the very tall or short ends of the spectrum and the accuracy become wildly inaccurate.

Comment

Yup, DH and I are both borderline overweight according to BMI @ 5'0'' and 6'8''. I don't think either of us are close to overweight. It's good for an average height/build person.

In college the athletic department measured our body fat measurements (some anti-eating disorders thing) and though I have low body fat for a woman, these calculators say I should lose 10 lbs (and be 98-102). It's all the muscle in my legs (or it was when I was playing sports).

I did think the breastfeeding one was interesting. I had no idea that breastfeeding required an additional 500 calories a day!
                        Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
                        Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

Originally posted by TulipsAndSunscreen View Post
                          Yup, DH and I are both borderline overweight according to BMI @ 5'0'' and 6'8''. I don't think either of us are close to overweight. It's good for an average height/build person.

In college the athletic department measured our body fat measurements (some anti-eating disorders thing) and though I have low body fat for a woman, these calculators say I should lose 10 lbs (and be 98-102). It's all the muscle in my legs (or it was when I was playing sports).

I did think the breastfeeding one was interesting. I had no idea that breastfeeding required an additional 500 calories a day!
                          After I had DD I had read it was 500 calories per day but when I was pumping, it felt more like 900 per day!

Comment

Some very rough guidelines: About 20cal/oz for breastmilk. Most babies less than 6 months consume about 24oz per day. It varies widely of course, but I think that's what they base the numbers on.
                            Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

Hmmm N is drinking 4-5 oz from the bottle already. No idea what she is taking at the breast though. She eats about 8-9 times in a 24 hour period by my best guess. But I still haven't really lost a lb in weeks!
                              Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Working...
                              X