Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

The downside of being almost 45

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The downside of being almost 45

The upside of being 45 is I'm healthy, here and relatively confident in who I am by now.

The downside is it really is a $%#&*(@ to change your body shape at this point. I've been going to power yoga for 90 minute classes four days a week since September and have changed my diet over to veggies, fruits and lean proteins most of the time (meaning maybe twice a month I venture away from that.) I'm MUCH healthier. I feel better. I'm strong. I don't get winded. But damn if I'm not still thick around the waist.

After having my kids 12 years ago, I figured that new middle weight would fade with time.... but NO. It's just there. Like peanut butter stuck to the inside of a jar. Eventually, I imagine, it will go. But why does it have to be the LAST fat to leave the building??

Frustrating.
    Angie
    Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
    Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

that sound so so frustrating. I found that the ONLY thing that works for me to lose inches is running. Everything else is nice but doesn't do bunk for me and its just frustrating because I can't stand running and it isn't so nice to me either. I hope it starts to change soon!
    -L.Jane

Wife to a wonderful General Surgeon
    Mom to a sweet but stubborn boy born April 2014
    Rock Chalk Jayhawk GO KU!!!

Comment

*sticks fingers in ears*
      Lalalalalala

My rebound has not happened since the last birth and I've worked twice as hard.

I can't help but feel a little envious of the 20 somethings and their endless energy in my yoga class. I've been wanting to read dara Torres Age is just a number but I'm not sure if it will inspire me or depress me.

ETA: the midsection redistribution is also hormone related.
      Last edited by Ladybug; 04-25-2012, 11:51 AM.
      -Ladybug

Comment

I'm so sorry. I'm frustrated too. My abs used to be my best feature. No matter how much junk I had in my trunk, I had a lean waist.

After my last baby at 36 I just never got them back. Now I have to cut back calories just to stay the same weight. I still run reasonable distances but it is kind of like my body has declared that this is my new set weight.

the midsection redistribution is also hormone related.
        I totally believe this because I have some other weird indicators that my hormone levels are starting to change. I'm not sure I want to know what other fun times are ahead.
        In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Originally posted by Ladybug View Post
          the midsection redistribution is also hormone related.
          Sooooo true.....unfortunately. I wish there were more docs out there that knew about how to work with women's hormone issues. I am small but my middle is as wide as my hips. I feel your pain because I am healthier now than I was 10 years ago. My friend who is 36 just recently gave up and went the plastics route because she did not want to lose any more weight but still could not get rid of her middle. I don't think I am there but I am not going to lie that for once in my life, the thought has crossed my mind.
          Finally - we are finished with training! Hello real world!!

Comment

I feel you guys. And Kelly, we multi-para moms have a lot to look forward to. I had no idea that my bladder and intestines could fall into my nether regions. . The joy of 40!
            ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
            ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

Please stop scaring me. As I approach 40, I am finding it harder and harder to remain fit. I am fairly active for having a desk job and being a solo parent. I am sure I could be more active, but then I would never have the opportunity to sleep. To stay where I was before S, I have to eat less than 1500 calories a day and I am miserable eating that little.
              Kris

Comment

I was on Jenny Craig while Rick was in DC- it was easy and it worked well. I was also working out more. Now- I try to hit yoga 4 days a week and I walk a lot- not enough but I also don't have time to do much more. My job has exploded and Nikolai's activities have increased. I would love to go back to a 35 hour week and have that one extra hour in my life but alas, that's not going to happen.

It's hormones, for sure. (I'm also either freezing or dripping sweat. So awesome)

J.

Comment

Working...
                X