Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

NYC Marathon!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NYC Marathon!

The lottery for the NYC marathon is today. I *think* my name was pulled. My checking account has a debit for the entry fee pending. This means I'm in right?

Holy shit, now I've got to train. Am I happy, scared, crazy?

YES!!!!
    In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

I hope so!!!! Run, baby, run!

When is the marathon?
    -Ladybug

Comment

Originally posted by houseelf View Post
      The lottery for the NYC marathon is today. I *think* my name was pulled. My checking account has a debit for the entry fee pending. This means I'm in right?

Holy shit, now I've got to train. Am I happy, scared, crazy?

YES!!!!
      Yes, it means you're in. I'm almost positive. I didn't get in 3 years ago and had to run Baltimore instead, I never had a pending entry debit. Congrats!!! NYC is on my running bucket list!

What are you thinking for a training program? I've done both high and low mileage programs - I get injured when distances get greater than 50 miles/week but I know a lot of people need the higher mileage to mentally prepare.
      Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
      Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

Congrats! During residency we would watch it from our apt. Too bad we are no longer there else we would hang a sign & cheer you on!
        Wife to Hand Surgeon just out of training, mom to two lovely kittys and little boy, O, born in Sept 08.

Comment

Sweet! There was a lady in my running class who was in the lottery 3 years in a row!
          Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

I can't believe it! I'm super ner-cited.

Good thing it is 6 months away. I guess I need to up the mileage and get serious come this July. Until then I'll continue my 3 to 6 milers. I should be clear that I'm only doing this to finish. Seriously, my longest run will only be a 19 or 20 miler. I use a novice program and only run 3 to 4 times a week to avoid injury. Twenty odd people in this country are paid to run and I certainly am not one of them so I won't act like it. (Damn! There goes my Nike running contract).

It has been 6 years since my last full. This is my final full marathon before I retire to a gentlewoman's half marathons and smaller distances. I put my name in the hat thinking it would take the customary three years.

My big brother ran it last year and didn't get in. I'm kind of bummed about this but still just beyond thrilled.

Holy *&^%!!!!

Comment

I'm thrilled for you!!!!!!!!
              Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

I had no idea it was a lottery. Awesome that you "won!"
                Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

Yes, you are batshit crazy. I love you, crazy woman. I am thrilled for you. It will be an awesome experience for you. I cannot comprehend wanting to run 26.2 miles. It is beyond rocking-in-a-corner, sucking-your-thumb, crazy, and this comes from someone who knows crazy.
                  Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

Congrats!!!

I enjoy running but am not sure that I'd do another marathon. I love running 15 - 18 miles. After that, I'm done!

I can't wait to "watch" your experience!!!! Will the kids get to come and cheer you on??
                    Cranky Wife to a Peds EM in private practice. Mom to 5 girls - 1 in Heaven and 4 running around in princess shoes.

Comment

Yes, you are batshit crazy. I love you, crazy woman. I am thrilled for you. It will be an awesome experience for you. I cannot comprehend wanting to run 26.2 miles. It is beyond rocking-in-a-corner, sucking-your-thumb, crazy, and this comes from someone who knows crazy.
                      Darling, pshaw. I wasn't aware that there was any lingering doubt as to whether I was anywhere close to sane. You flatter me so!

I'm thinking of taking the two older kids and my mom, although DH might come too. Not only do I want the kids to see New York, I want to give them a bit more of an impression of mom than the housecoat wearing, minivan driving, beer chugging, yelling at the kids on the lawn old person that I have become. (O.K. that's not an ENTIRELY accurate self description, but closer than I'd like to admit on some days).

Comment

Congratulations!!!
                        Laurie
                        My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

Finishing is an excellent goal! My personal opinion is that unless you're a very gifted runner, you can't PR in a big marathon anyway. There's too many people at water stops, etc. I use big city marathons to see the sights!

Really happy for you! Your kids will have an awesome time making signs! So great that they'll see their mom accomplish this!
                          Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
                          Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

You amaze and inspire me. *high five*
                            ~Jane

-Wife of urology attending.
                            -SAHM to three great kiddos (2 boys, 1 girl!)

Comment

The kids should definitely see and experience all the excitement. NYC is so much fun too! You should take them to see Mary Poppins on broadway. She flies over the audience.
                              -Ladybug

Comment

Working...
                              X