Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Couch to 5K?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Couch to 5K?

I remember seeing that several of you did this with some success. I started yesterday and I'm pretty sure I almost died. There was a time when I was in really good shape, then I had 2 children and the only exercise I get is cleaning, picking up babies, and cooking dinner.
    Anyway, please tell me I can succeed at this! I should not be almost dying from walking/jogging 15 minute miles. Going again tomorrow.
    -Mommy, FM wife, Disney Planner and Hoosier

I did it. However, I never got to fully running a 5K I got to where I could finish a 5K. And I did it in A time of under 42 minutes or so. And I think you need to start slow, and adjust the program for what fits you. I mostly used the couch to 5K program as a guideline. Increasing my running in intervals. Go you!
    Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

A good friend of mine used the Runners World "Run Your Butt Off" book and she really loved it. She wasn't a runner before, and she now runs 4-5 miles a day regularly. It emphasized taking it slow and doing it at your own pace, in careful increments. I think it's a 10-week program with plenty of options to alter it to fit your own level of fitness.
      Wife of PGY-4 (of 6), cat herder, and mom to a sassy-pants four-nager.

Comment

Thanks Heidi! I have never run before in my life. It's always been my worst nightmare, but with all these kids at home pretty much anything that involves leaving alone is a dream come true at this point. If I could get to a point where I could jog 5k, I would feel really really accomplished.

MsSassy, that sounds a lot like the couch to 5k program. I'm pretty excited that it has an app that keeps track of the intervals for me and maps how far I've gone. yesterday I went 1.75 miles...in 30 minutes. lol! I guess that leaves me with a LOT of room for improvement!

Comment

I would also encourage you to mix it up a bit with other cardio like spin classes or the elliptical, if you have a gym accessible. Or bike riding if you don't have a gym accessible. Beginning running can be hard on the joints, and mixing in some low-impact stuff helps you get a good cardio workout even when your joints can't take any more pounding. Then when you go back to running you feel even better!
          Wife of PGY-4 (of 6), cat herder, and mom to a sassy-pants four-nager.

Comment

well, its only 3x a week so it shouldn't be tearing my body to shreds too much. I do have gym access, but unfortunately with 2 kids and a husband who is rarely home, getting to the gym just isn't gonna happen. Just Dance 3 though...that could happen.

Comment

I did it. It works. It gave me the confidence to run longer distances and eventually I worked up to a half marathon. Of course I'm starting all over again now.
              Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

I've done it a couple of times and it works great. Sometimes you have to repeat weeks. If you don't feel ready to advance to the next week that's alright. There are MP3's out there that play music to the couch to the 5K program while you work out, and keeps track of your intervals for you telling you when to run and when to walk, and gives you little bits of motivation here and there.

A couple tips about starting a running program. Consider your shoes. A good pair of running shoes makes all the difference. A store that specializes in running and shoes should be able to judge from you gait what kind of running shoes will work for your feet. Consider the ground you run on. Running on grass or a soft dirt trail is going to absorb the shock on your joints much more than a concrete sidewalk or asphalt street. Stretch before and after a work out to warm up and loosen your muscles and to prevent injuries such as shin splints. If you've received an injury from running give your body time to heal. Otherwise continuing to workout while injured will only compound your injury and lead to more serious injuries.

You can do this!
                PGY4 Nephrology Fellow

Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing there is a field. I'll meet you there.

~ Rumi

Comment

How's it going? I also started it with a friend at the Y and love how the iPhone app works with your music.

Comment

Thanks for asking! it's going really great. I just finished up week 3, which is actually the 4th week because I repeated the 1st week. I feel so great and yes I LOVE the iPhone app! DH and I also just started P90x, which I skip the nights when I run. But I am sore basically all of the time now.

Comment

P90x too? You go girl! My friend talked me into trying Yoga after running, it's supposed to be a good companion. Going to try it for the first time this morning.

Comment

I did the program last year but also did 3 weight classes a day (called Body Pump aka "Power") through my gym - it only took me about 8 weeks to get into killer shape. I should probably start doing it again... as the only exercise i've had as of late is running the bowl to the bathroom and back. :P

Comment

Working...
                        X