Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Running a Marathon!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running a Marathon!

Just signed up for my first Marathon! Nashville, April 27th. I've run two half-marathons now, but 26.2 miles sounds SOOOO FAAAARRRRRR! I'm hoping I don't get burnt out on training. It's one of those things that's been on my life bucket list for a while, and I could use a goal to take my mind off of the upcoming Match...

If any of you other runners have any advice/insights/motivation, I'd love to hear it!
    PA and wife of a PGY2 in neurosurgery. And "cat-mom" to the two sweetest cats anyone could hope for.

Good luck, you crazy person! You can do it! We have a couple marathoners on here. I am not one of those.
    Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

I'm running my first half in May - there I said it, so now I will feel like I definitely have to!

I can't imagine doing a full - good luck to you!
      Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

I have trained for 5, run 4 (injury). I could give lots of advice but I would say that for your first the goal is to finish. There are SO many variables that finishing is a huge accomplishment and you can't control the rest. I trained perfectly and was in peak condition for my first marathon...and it was 95 degrees. That's not something you can control. Put in the miles, don't overtrain and aim to finish!

Excited for you, it's definitely addicting!
        Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
        Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

Best of luck. TandS offered awesome advice. Training for a marathon is a journey and an emotional experience that trains you for the ups and downs of life.

RE:26.2 being a loooong distance. If you can run an hour you can finish a marathon. It sounds crazy but I swear it is true. Besides, you shouldn't think about the distance too much. You take each mile as it comes. Like Tulips said, you really don't know what you are going to get. Even the most accomplished elite marathoners will tell you this.

The art of marathoning is pushing yourself while listening to your body. Increase weekly mileage and long run distance SLOWLY. Also, know that no training plan ever is perfectly executed. You will have a crappy long run, you have to scale back a bit to avoid injury, you get sick and miss some mid week miles, etcetera. This will mess with your head, which in and of itself is great prep for the big M. If you do 80 to 90% of a program, you'll be prepared

What training program are you using? Have you joined a running group or do you have a buddy? What gear and swag do you use? Do you cross train? Are you doing smaller races this season to try out pacing, water stops, gear etcetera?

Most of all GO YOU!!! it is a sick and twisted addiction, but there is nothing like the journey. It is heaven and hell all at once.
          In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

I'll live through you. It's on my bucket list!
            Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

I'm currently sitting in my living room, lazily eating breakfast and playing on the internet, watching a gaggle of marathoners run past mile marker 7 outside my window. More power to you crazy people. The little 11- and 12-year-old kids are making me feel pretty inadequate though.
              Wife of a surgical fellow; Mom to a busy toddler girl and 5 furballs (2 cats, 3 dogs)

Comment

I had planned to do my first last fall, but a ladder accident took care of that. :/ I'm really hoping to do it this year (same one, late September, nice flat course) but we'll see. I'm still pretty weak and I haven't done much running since June.

The only advice I have is podcasts really help pass the time.

Comment

Thank you all for the support/tips! I'll have keep you updated periodically through this process. I'm both scared and excited for the months of training ahead.

Originally posted by houseelf View Post
                  What training program are you using? Have you joined a running group or do you have a buddy? What gear and swag do you use? Do you cross train? Are you doing smaller races this season to try out pacing, water stops, gear etcetera?
                  After doing a few weeks of Hal Higdeons Advanced training program, I decided to make a switch this weekend and try the FIRST program instead. I initially started with Higdeon bc I used one of his programs for my half last fall and really liked it. I went with the advanced program bc I like some speed work, but I quickly realized that the schedule is a little too advanced for my first marathon. What have others used for their training?

As for training, it's all me, no running group or buddy. My DH was going to try to run too, but with his interview schedule, he hasn't had much time to run, so he's thinking the half instead. No special gear really. My IPod is my best friend on runs. DH got me a water belt (the kind with only one bottle centered in the back) for Christmas, so I've been taking that on my long runs. It certainly takes a little getting used to!

I'm trying to add cross-training in. I find it hard to run so many days each week! My plan now is two days of complete rest (Fri and Sat), then cross-training (probably elliptical) on Mondays (Sun are my long runs). Then running (incl one easy run) the other three days. I really love spinning classes too, but the ones at my gym fill up too quickly, so I never get to go to those .

I hadn't planned on doing any other races between now and the big M. I figure I'll figure out pacing/water/fueling on my long runs. I guess I just want the marathon to be THE event.
                  PA and wife of a PGY2 in neurosurgery. And "cat-mom" to the two sweetest cats anyone could hope for.

Comment

I started on a Hal Higdon intermediate program and got hurt - it was too much mileage too fast. Have since then trained with his novice 2 program, my own made-up program, and a program that focuses on speedwork instead of mileage. I liked the speedwork one the best but it was by far the hardest (I PRed Boston though...) and I would absolutely not recommend it for a first time marathoner. You need to know what running 20 miles feels like before you run 26. Once you get a couple under your belt, you can start tinkering with the approach (in my humble opinion).
                    Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

I know several people who swear by http://www.pfitzinger.com/marathontraining.shtml. I have tried Higdon Beginner one and Higdon Intermediate one. I came very close to trying the Run Less Run Faster program, but I am VERY vulnerable to injury if I attempt too much speed work. By the way, speed work is a relative term. LOL.

At my age, I'm really into staying healthy and running for the long term so I tend to go for the tried and true methods. I live in a ridiculously hilly area so speed work seems redundant.

My pilates instructor who is sort of like a Yoda of the fitness world believed that her key to to staving off injury was to wear a heart rate monitor and not exceeding a certain number of beats per minute. For me, overall weekly mileage is my biggest consideration. I max out at 35-40 miles/week and then my body starts fighting back and injuries start coming into play. Literally and figuratively, YMMV. I think that the key to running over the long haul is finding whatever your particular "sweet spot" is and committing to not exceeding that thresh hold.

I love that you are cross training. I wish I had been a little more focused on this when I was younger. Form and strength isn't a big deal on a three mile run. Form becomes critical over the course of a training program or decades of running.

Practice fueling with your fancy new water belt. I used a Nathan water belt and I wasn't in love with it. Try out whatever gels, sports drinks, potions now rather than have an unfortunate GI issue on the day of the race. I have to be *very* careful about my nutrition before and during runs or I had some unfortunate bathroom experiences which somehow always occur miles from the nearest bathroom. :embarrassed:

Even if you don't want to join a running group, I'm sure that you could pop into any running store's weekend 20 miler just to mix it up, enjoy some company, and try a new route. There is always someone with a fancy computer that you will meet who will tell you feet per second, elevation change, temperature, and Pi to the 100th number. I'm not into Garmins but it is fun to run with someone who is on occasion.

My new thing are those butt-ugly compression socks. At first I thought they were a bit of clever marketing, but now I'm a believer. Even if you don't wear them on the long run, wearing them during recovery helps immensely. One of the guys I ran with was a former college linebacker who wore full compression tights. Yeah, he was real comfortable with his manhood. LOL.

I hesitate to say this because it is a luxury that I can only afford post training, but a massage is a wonderful, glorious thing for a runner. A running stick and a foam roller are nice seconds.

Can I just say that I love that there are some fellow runner geeks who will fly their running freak flags with me?

I love you guys.
                      In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Originally posted by houseelf View Post
                        I think that the key to running over the long haul is finding whatever your particular "sweet spot" is and committing to not exceeding that thresh hold.

Practice fueling with your fancy new water belt. I used a Nathan water belt and I wasn't in love with it. Try out whatever gels, sports drinks, potions now rather than have an unfortunate GI issue on the day of the race. I have to be *very* careful about my nutrition before and during runs or I had some unfortunate bathroom experiences which somehow always occur miles from the nearest bathroom. :embarrassed:

Even if you don't want to join a running group, I'm sure that you could pop into any running store's weekend 20 miler just to mix it up, enjoy some company, and try a new route. There is always someone with a fancy computer that you will meet who will tell you feet per second, elevation change, temperature, and Pi to the 100th number. I'm not into Garmins but it is fun to run with someone who is on occasion.
                        These are very wise pieces of advice. I've definitely figured out my sweet spot (and strangely it's the same as houseelf's) and I just get injured after that.

Also, you have to train every element of the race (within reason). So, training with the same gels/fluids that you'll have on the course (or that will be available on the course) is very, very important. I used to just take whatever Goo was available, now I train with Luna Moons because they can be taken one at a time slooooowly and don't mess with my stomach. I need to take glucose over several minutes or I'll get very sick.

Comment

Thanks again to everyone for the support and advice! I'm at my computer right now trying to pump myself up for my long run (12 miles this week) by downloading some new running music on iTunes. Motivation to go for a run is hard to come by when it's dark and rainy and my home is so warm and cozy. But I'm going to make myself get up and go!

On another note, hubby is finally done with residency interviews! Yea! Had his last one yesterday. I've got to get my butt moving so I can run, shower, and get to the airport to pick him up. It would be a perfect day to celebrate with a cup of hot chocolate at a cute cafe we like

Comment

Working...
                          X