Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Exercise Ball Help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exercise Ball Help?

I've been having a lot of mid/lower back issues lately and was thinking of swapping my desk chair for an exercise ball. Anyone have experience with this? Would it help? Also, what size?

You might check out some strengthening exercises for your back and abdominals, too. Also, stretching out can REALLY help.

Comment

I sit on an exercise ball at work and have for about 3 years. I enjoy it, but I'm not sure it's improved my body in any meaningful way. This is probably because I persist in having terrible posture in spite of the ball. Mine is 65cm, and I'm about 5'6" tall.
      Julia - legislative process lover and general government nerd, married to a PICU & Medical Ethics attending, raising a toddler son and expecting a baby daughter Oct '16.

Comment

Julia, me too! My posture is horrific. My ballet teacher would be ashamed. And DD, good call on the ab/back exercises. Last week was my first back to the gym since my surgery, so I'm sure my core is shot to hell

Comment

Also, make sure that your shoes are giving you proper support when you need it. My back/sciatic KILL if I clean the house without shoes on, or stand in the kitchen for a long time barefooted. What about taking a ballet class? A lot of gyms offer a ballet-based class and some studios offer adult classes for all levels. I totally agree with DD on the stretches/exercises - it's all about balance

Hope you find things improving soon!
          Jen
          Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

I've broken my stupid tailbone three times and if I don't wear decent shoes and don't stretch well and keep up mu strength training, my lower back becomes sore with fun little muscle spasms that can drop me to my knees.

Shoes don't need to be super cushy to be supportive, too. My best shoes are minimalist like New Balance Minimus or my Birkenstocks.

Sorry fashionistas -- I'm sure the words "Ugg", "Birkenstock", or "Vibram" are like dementors sucking all the joy from your souls.

Comment

Originally posted by diggitydot View Post
              I've broken my stupid tailbone three times
              No freaking way....I knew we were sisters separated at birth, but this just confirms it! I broke my tailbone three times: twice in jr high and once in high school, all while playing sports. It never healed right and hurts every once in awhile.
              Married to a peds surgeon attending

Comment

Yikes, three times!?! Ouch! Jen, I'll look into going back to ballet...my posture needs it

Comment

Originally posted by weeniegeniewife View Post
                  No freaking way....I knew we were sisters separated at birth, but this just confirms it! I broke my tailbone three times: twice in jr high and once in high school, all while playing sports. It never healed right and hurts every once in awhile.
                  I broke it during fellowship/residency twice by falling on the ice and once falling down our stairs. Socks + hardwood floors = me flying like a goddamn Walenda. And when the ice/snow is so bad that our fucking MALAMUTE can't even stay on all 4 of his legs, I have zero business going outside.

Comment

Ok, so keeping the desk chair for now and going to do more core work (ugh). Will start making room in the budget for new shoes...thanks guys!

Comment

Originally posted by Cassy
                      Don't make fun of these sweet fashion skills, but my Dankso clogs are amazing. I am on my feet for 12+ hours and never have foot or back pain. When I wore sneakers to work my back would kill me. I was always hunched over, leaning on the nurses station trying to get some relief. So I vote Danksos and core strengthening exercises!
                      I <3 my dansko clogs.
                      Sandy
                      Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

Hey, I'm a shoe girl and have plenty of pretty heels, but I ALSO love my Dansko clogs. Sometimes you need a sensible shoe. =) I notice I get a lot of low back pain when I put my feet up while sitting -- it pulls the sacrum under and compresses the lower spine. I'm trying to break the habit but I just love to put my feet up and slouch when I'm working... I actually do better when I have a structured desk chair with low back support rather than a ball -- the ball makes me slouch more. It depends on whether you can remind yourself to sit correctly on the ball.
                        Wife of PGY-4 (of 6), cat herder, and mom to a sassy-pants four-nager.

Comment

I hate my Danskos, worst shoe for me ever. Horribly painful and uncomfortable.
                          Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

Working...
                          X