Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Anti depressants?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I may be a cynical bitch, but I don't really show it when I've got a lot of crap going on in my life, either. I feel like it's no one else's business. That describes about 90% of my life, though. I choose to share very little with most people unless I'm REALLY comfortable with them. Even then, it's a stretch. That I share as much as I do here says a lot for my iMSN peeps.

Comment

I have to laugh a little at myself here. Most of the time I have no issue acting the way I really feel, but I give NO thought as to how others view that. example... Last night I went to this med spouse local event. I had a splitting headache, but didnt want to miss out. I laughed through it, all the while telling everyone my head was Killing Me. When the kids were running and screaming I just kept looking at people like my brains were going to explode (that's how my brain felt!) and we all got a chuckle out of it. I never thought to smile and act like I was fine- because my freaking head hurt! Lol! Is this the kind of stuff your talking about?
      Wife to PGY5. Mommy to baby girl born 11/2009. Cat mommy since 2002
      "“If you don't know where you are going any road can take you there”"

Comment

Originally posted by moonlight View Post
        Is this the kind of stuff your talking about?
        For me? Not really.

I couldn't give half a shit what anyone may or may not think about me or my behavior. I don't like sharing because I'm an introvert and it's nobody's fucking business what might be running through my head.

Comment

Originally posted by diggitydot View Post
          I may be a cynical bitch, but I don't really show it when I've got a lot of crap going on in my life, either. I feel like it's no one else's business. That describes about 90% of my life, though. I choose to share very little with most people unless I'm REALLY comfortable with them. Even then, it's a stretch. That I share as much as I do here says a lot for my iMSN peeps.
          Word.

Comment

I think it just goes to show that you don't ever really know what's going on in the emotional lives of others. I've known plenty of people who were annoyingly perky who had tragedies in their lives or were anxious or depressed. Maybe that's why I said that the people I've KNOWN were on antidepressants seemed the most emotionally "normal" - they were friends who were close enough to share what they were going through and not hide how they really felt.
            Wife of PGY-4 (of 6), cat herder, and mom to a sassy-pants four-nager.

Comment

I think it just goes to show that you don't ever really know what's going on in the emotional lives of others. I've known plenty of people who were annoyingly perky who had tragedies in their lives or were anxious or depressed. Maybe that's why I said that the people I've KNOWN were on antidepressants seemed the most emotionally "normal" - they were friends who were close enough to share what they were going through and not hide how they really felt.
              OMG, yes. The older I get the more I see that the glossy brochure that represents someone's life is just a bunch of marketing. In fact, the more "normal" they appear, the more likely they are to be in marriage counseling, be mortgaged within an inch of their life, have health issues, kids on the brink of disaster, etcetera. I tend to skew towards more openness about my stuff and everyone else's veneer always made me feel less than. Now I just realize that we all cope with it differently. We all have our pile o' shit to wade through in this life. Don't believe the hype.
              In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Hey, at least they're smiling at you. It could be a whole lost worse!
                -Ladybug

Comment

For me? Not really.

I couldn't give half a shit what anyone may or may not think about me or my behavior. I don't like sharing because I'm an introvert and it's nobody's fucking business what might be running through my head.
                  This is how I feel. No matter what mood I'm in, I like to show a pleasant exterior because it makes the world a better place. Not only that, even if I'm in a horrifyingly bad mood, it's no one else's fault. Why should they have to deal with my grumpy face or complaints?

Also, it's possible that they pick up on you judging them, which probably makes their smiles seem even more plastic.

Comment

And I really do try to share the best of myself with others. It's a gift of myself to them, kinda like BonBon is saying. It might not be all fakey-don't-judge-me-or-my-veneer stuff. I could placing some boundaries/limits on my bad mood, crisis, frustration, annoyances, etc. for the emotional health of those I encounter, work with, etc. Being around others sometimes nudges me to behave my way into a bettter mental place. Emotions tend to follow actions. I find interacting with other people positively really does lighten my own mood. It's a win-win most of the time, and, yes, I have been on antidepressants, but it's usually a lot more work than merely popping a pill.
                    -Ladybug

Comment

The kindest thing I can do for humanity is not share whatever vulgarity is regularly running through my noggin.

Comment

The kindest thing I can do for humanity is not share whatever vulgarity is regularly running through my noggin.
                        Haha, seriously. As my SO would say, you look like an angel but you seem to start a lot of sentences with "Look bitch."

Comment

Originally posted by Curegirl View Post
                          Haha, seriously. As my SO would say, you look like an angel but you seem to start a lot of sentences with "Look bitch."
                          LOL! DH and I were just talking last night about how his grandma & aunt often use the very Minnesotan phrase "Oh, for cute!" (Isn't that cute, pronounced "Ohfer cuuit") and how it always throws him off when I start my phrase the same way but end up saying "Ohfer fucksake!"
                          /hijack
                          Wife of PGY-4 (of 6), cat herder, and mom to a sassy-pants four-nager.

Comment

LOL. Me too.

As someone who has struggled with periods of depression for most of her life, I can honestly tell you that anti-depressants didn't give me a fake, happy veneer. At best, they stemmed the tide of overwhelming unhappiness. I could still laugh and cry and feel every range of emotions ... I was just better able to function. For the most part, in my real life, I'm pretty quiet about the vulgarity running through my noggin (love that, Wendy). Frankly, if I'm going through a period of struggle I'm likely to smile, ask you how you are, and try to be pleasant. When I was younger this was less the case, but in my adulthood I'd rather just be friendly and act happy even if I'm really not. I try not to be fake about it, but I also suffer from terrible social anxiety (that I'm really trying to overcome) and so I wonder sometime if I seem fake when I'm just feeling awkward or uncomfortable.

That's my long-winded way to say that anti-depressants don't make people fake happy.

Kris
                            ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
                            ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

Working...
                            X