Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Running distances

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running distances

So, starting in about March, I've taken up running. I'm not really training for a race, just trying to get faster and go farther each week. But I feel like I'm getting to a point where I need to put a cap on the distance for my long runs. Problem is, I don't really know any casual runners. Last time I took up running, I trained for a race, following a schedule, and then just quit running after the race. I have never been in a "maintenance" kind of a phase, you know?

So I was wondering if anyone here wanted to weigh in. If you run just because you're a runner and runners run, how long or how far are your long runs, and how much mileage (roughly) do you get per week?
    Alison

I run 5 miles a day, 5 days a week (so ... 25 miles/week).. Takes me 45 minutes (9 min/mile).
    ~Jane

-Wife of urology attending.
    -SAHM to three great kiddos (2 boys, 1 girl!)

Comment

I run off road and pick the most satisfying route for the weather. Sometimes it's distance that satisfies but often it's just the views or a loch for the dog to swim in.

I do 3 runs a week, shortest 3 miles, longest 8 miles. I average 14 miles a week

Impressed with 5x 5 miles!
      Using Tapatalk

Comment

Okay, cool, I'm basically a blend of you guys. I aim for 3-4 runs of 3-6 miles (including hikes, higher-intensity middle distances, recovery-pace short distances), then one long run of 6-8 miles each week. I just try to fit the distance and intensity to how I'm feeling and how much time I have available. My GPS log tells me I'm getting 18-25 miles per week. Maybe I'll just try to maintain around here for a while and see how that feels.
        Alison

Comment

Running distances

If I run more than 3 days a week and longer than 3 miles per run, I usually develop either a knee problem or an Achilles problem or something. I used to run about 6 miles 3 times a week. I try to vary speed and do some little hills. Treadmills I will run longer. Generally I go for 30-40 min cardio at least-- so right now I'm running slow miles at that...

ETA: I hate running but want to do the 10-miler across Ford Island bridge next April. That's my long term goal. Honolulu half marathon would be cool but that's in December and I haven't decided if I want to try to up my mileage yet. I may do some 10ks or whatever first. I think having races as goals would be helpful for me.
          Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

When I started a few months ago, I was getting knee problems at the 3.5 mile mark on the dot. By 4.5 miles I was limping hardcore and hobbling home. But the distribution of pain made it pretty clearly an IT band issue. Between stretching more carefully after every run, and getting some muscle built up with speedwork, the knee pain has quit -- I did 7.5 yesterday and barely a twinge!

The cool thing about following a training program is seeing progress. I hated running back in 2007 when I took up running for the first time, and my first training run was a laborious 2 miles at 11 minutes a mile -- but four months later I did a half marathon faster than a 9:30 pace. Since starting a similar program (much more loosely) this March, I've improved my 5k by 5 minutes. You can totally be ready for a half by December! And rock some 10ks along the way.
            Alison

Comment

Originally posted by spotty_dog View Post
              When I started a few months ago, I was getting knee problems at the 3.5 mile mark on the dot. By 4.5 miles I was limping hardcore and hobbling home. But the distribution of pain made it pretty clearly an IT band issue. Between stretching more carefully after every run, and getting some muscle built up with speedwork, the knee pain has quit -- I did 7.5 yesterday and barely a twinge!

The cool thing about following a training program is seeing progress. I hated running back in 2007 when I took up running for the first time, and my first training run was a laborious 2 miles at 11 minutes a mile -- but four months later I did a half marathon faster than a 9:30 pace. Since starting a similar program (much more loosely) this March, I've improved my 5k by 5 minutes. You can totally be ready for a half by December! And rock some 10ks along the way.
              Thank you for inspiring me to do a little research into the hip pain I get (right hip only) after about 3 miles of walking. Diagnosis: most likely bursitis, most likely due to one leg slightly longer than the other. Going to work on stretching and strengthening, and do a little research into heel lifts; not sure if only using a heel lift sometimes is worse than never, for a minor length difference.
              Sandy
              Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

This is a really good question! I was working my way up on long runs for a half marathon in May and then maintained long distance until a half ironman in July. Now without anther upcoming race I feel the same about ok what's my ongoing maintenance? I'm thinking a 5k a couple weekdays, and a 10k as a "long" weekend run

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
                Grace

Comment

Originally posted by migirl View Post
                  I run 5 miles a day, 5 days a week (so ... 25 miles/week).. Takes me 45 minutes (9 min/mile).
                  Impressive! You're my future goal for myself! Do you run the same route everyday? Is this your morning ritual?

Grace

Comment

I do intervals. I can't run non-stop. I hate running, and I am trying to run a half marathon in February. I did 5 miles this morning. I run 40 seconds walk 80 right now. I want to build to run 60/walk 60. I run 3-4 days a week.
                    Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

Originally posted by gcuthbe1 View Post
                      Impressive! You're my future goal for myself! Do you run the same route everyday? Is this your morning ritual?
                      Yep, it's my morning ritual 5 days a week (M thru F). I run on our treadmill so it's super-duper boring, I turn on the morning news and listen to music which just makes it ... a little less boring.
                      ~Jane

-Wife of urology attending.
                      -SAHM to three great kiddos (2 boys, 1 girl!)

Comment

I am stuck in the gym until Texas cools off again. I'm trying to run .25 miles every .5-.75 miles.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                        Veronica
                        Mother of two ballerinas and one wild boy

Comment

I run 2-4 miles once or twice a week in the summer because that is as often as I can get childcare/help.

I don't run in the winter because I have a bad knee and so I rationalize that I'm not destroying my knees as quickly if I only do it in the summer and on vacations. I would never run outdoors in the winter but I used to run on an inside track.

Wife of a PGY-6
                          Loving wife of neurosurgeon

Comment

Y'all have inspired me. I randomly decided to run home from work after reading this thread, even though there was a chance if getting rained on! Thank you!

Grace

Comment

A couple months ago I started running for the first time ever. I'm soooo slow, but I love it. I've been doing about 3-4 miles three times per week. All the muscles below my waist are sore!
                              Last edited by ladymoreta; 08-13-2015, 06:44 AM.
                              Laurie
                              My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

Working...
                              X