Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

How are you exercising?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How are you exercising?

I just started walking on the treadmill. I’d like to eventually join the gym and use the weight machines, but figured this is a good start.

Kris

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
    ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

J and I are loving our Peloton!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Allison - professor; wife to a urology attending; mom to baby girl E (11/13), baby boy C (2/16), and a spoiled cat; knitter and hoarder of yarn; photographer

Comment

Running. Always with the running. Currently averaging 22-25 miles/week. I used to run like 40 but I don’t see how I get back there any time soon.

Weekday runs of 4-5 plus a weekend of 8-9 is about as good as I can ever get. With two off days that only adds up to 22-25.

Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
      Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

Originally posted by TulipsAndSunscreen View Post

Weekday runs of 4-5 plus a weekend of 8-9 is about as good as I can ever get.

Curious, how many minutes do your runs take? I'm still a way off from there, but I'm setting goals about time and distance for my running.
        token iMSN "not a medical spouse"

Comment

Originally posted by Bluejay View Post
          Curious, how many minutes do your runs take? I'm still a way off from there, but I'm setting goals about time and distance for my running.
          I generally run between 9:30 and 10 minute miles. I race faster than that usually 8:45-9:15 though I haven’t broken 9 mins in a half marathon since I had my son.

Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

Originally posted by TulipsAndSunscreen View Post
            I generally run between 9:30 and 10 minute miles. I race faster than that usually 8:45-9:15 though I haven’t broken 9 mins in a half marathon since I had my son.

I have a loooong way to go. I am running about a 20 minute mile. And yes, I am running, not walking lol. Jogging.
            token iMSN "not a medical spouse"

Comment

Originally posted by Bluejay View Post
              I have a loooong way to go. I am running about a 20 minute mile. And yes, I am running, not walking lol. Jogging.
              You have to start somewhere! And you’re right to make it about total workout time and not speed. When I’ve got a limitation (injury, pregnant, etc), I always try to move for 40-50 minutes regardless of how far I go.

Comment

I’ve been walking with a neighbor friend three to five times a week around our steep hilly neighborhood. We walk for an hour and we started out at a pace of 2.5 mph and have progressed to 3.0-3.2 mph. It works out to about 3 mi or about a 5K each time we go. Having a friend to go with makes it so much more fun and it helps to have an accountability partner. We’ve been at it for 83 days and I’ve lost 31 pounds so far.

I’ve also been doing yoga with my 14 year old daughter. It’s one of our favorite things to do together.

Another friend has invited me to go check out the grand opening of the Orange Theory in my city tonight. I’m intrigued, but it seems a little pricey. Anyone else doing OT here?

Charlene~Married to an attending Ophtho Mudphud and Mom to 2 daughters

Comment

Running, walking, rowing, hiking, and weightlifting. I’m mostly doing walking and running, though. After losing almost 70 lbs in the last year, running doesn’t fucking suck nearly as much.

Comment

Originally posted by diggitydot View Post
                    Running, walking, rowing, hiking, and weightlifting. I’m mostly doing walking and running, though. After losing almost 70 lbs in the last year, running doesn’t fucking suck nearly as much.
                    70 pounds?!! Congratulations!!! How did you do it? I’m looking to do the same.

Kris

Comment

Whenever I want to get back to moving my body I try to start slowly and sustainably. Especially because my feet have been a nightmare for the past few years and I know if they get bad enough I will be truly crippled and that scares me.

Lately I've been remembering how good it feels to be in shape for running, and how good it is for my heart health. Also, I got my athletic puppy precisely because I wanted a running partner, even though I basically quit running shortly after I started searching for him ~3 years ago. So I've decided to run a 10k in August. My hope is to be at about 15 miles of running per week by mid-June, and then to do an 8-week run training program in hopes of running a moderately fast 10k. This week I've done a 35-45 minute walk/jog every 2-3 days and gone for a 3-5 mile hike most days in between. (And left my purse at HOME, LOL!) I try to do long warmups and cooldowns, and stretch during and after, in hopes of coddling my poor ol' body.

I feel like for another aspect of long-term health I need to get strength training back into the mix, but gyms aren't an option where I live. I do try to do bodyweight exercises now and again. The None to Run plan has some very simple bodyweight workouts that feel like a good start, I should do those regularly and go from there!
                      [MENTION=1310]MDPhDWife[/MENTION] I think [MENTION=1889]SoonerTexan[/MENTION] has done OT?
                      Alison

Comment

Originally posted by PrincessFiona View Post
                        70 pounds?!! Congratulations!!! How did you do it? I’m looking to do the same.
                        I worked with a local weight loss and bariatric clinic for about 6 months to get started. Insurance covered most of it (besides any meal replacement products) because of my starting BMI and comorbidities. Because the clinic was part of my dude’s group, I received a discount on any meal replacement products. The meal replacement products didn’t cost any more than what we’d have spent on regular groceries for me in that same time frame.

Comment

Originally posted by diggitydot View Post
                          I worked with a local weight loss and bariatric clinic for about 6 months to get started. Insurance covered most of it (besides any meal replacement products) because of my starting BMI and comorbidities. Because the clinic was part of my dude’s group, I received a discount on any meal replacement products. The meal replacement products didn’t cost any more than what we’d have spent on regular groceries for me in that same time frame.
                          That’s great! We have a bariatric clinic and they’re covered, but our deductible is so high that I’d have to pay out-of-pocket. Maybe I should reconsider it.

Kris

Comment

Originally posted by PrincessFiona View Post
                            I just started walking on the treadmill. I’d like to eventually join the gym and use the weight machines, but figured this is a good start.

Kris

If you want some more motivation on the treadmill, you could try out the Peloton app. They have both walking and running classes for the treadmill that you can do live or on demand. I think you can try it for free, but it's $19.49/month after that. They also have strength, stretching, yoga, and all kinds of other classes on the app.
                            Allison - professor; wife to a urology attending; mom to baby girl E (11/13), baby boy C (2/16), and a spoiled cat; knitter and hoarder of yarn; photographer

Comment

Originally posted by alotofyarn View Post
                              If you want some more motivation on the treadmill, you could try out the Peloton app. They have both walking and running classes for the treadmill that you can do live or on demand. I think you can try it for free, but it's $19.49/month after that. They also have strength, stretching, yoga, and all kinds of other classes on the app.
                              Thanks! I’m going to look at that right now!

Kris

Comment

Working...
                              X