Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Fitness failure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fitness failure

I’m so depressed. Despondent. On the first day, Aidan’s host family took us on a tour of the Abby and school where Aidan goes. I have lost 40 pounds but have 80 to go. The 2 hour tour pushed my limits. Then we had to walk down 100 stone steps into the city for dinner. I managed going down fine, but got sick on the way up. First there is the overweight and second the damage from radiation to my right chest. My right lung started making noises. I was done. Instead of finishing the day, the family took us to see ruins that were straight up a steep mountainside. I could not do it. Aidan stayed behind and literally pushed my ass up the mountain. I cried and begged to quit.

Obviously, to the family, I could not keep up with the physical exercise. I was humiliated.
    The next day, the family planned a traditional Austrian event: Climbing a mountain to get to a restaurant at the top. WTH? They brought me walking sticks thinking that would help me pull my 80 pound ass up the mountain. Humiliated again. I drank so much Glühwein when I got to the top (with the host mom) that I fell halfway down the mountain.

Every bone, muscle, hair follicle hurts. Today was my day in Vienna alone with Aidan and Zoe and I could barely hobble around. It was hard to be in the moment because I was in so much pain.

I feel deflated. This does not motivate me to lose weight or exercise. It makes me feel so bad about myself.

Kris

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by PrincessFiona; 12-30-2019, 11:34 AM.
    ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
    ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Wow. That is quite a challenge. Not the best option for a beginner. I'm surprised his host family wasn't more accommodating.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

Oh wow, I agree with MrsK. If they knew that the hiking was difficult for you, it would have been kinder to choose a different location the next day. I'm sorry.
      Laurie
      My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

Honestly, I'm pretty sure that would have kicked my husband's ass too. And he's ridiculously fit rides 100 miles in a day. Unless you are doing that sort of exercise regularly, it's gonna hurt.
        Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

I don’t think it’s a failure at all. I always find all the walking involved in traveling exhausting. Go easy on yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Wife of Anesthesiology Resident

Comment

The truth, however, is that reaching failure is not a requirement for building bigger, stronger muscles. You'll do just as well to leave a few reps in the tank. In fact, some studies show that avoiding failure in your workouts will deliver faster gains in strength and power.

Comment

Working...
            X