Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

How did my "fat jeans" become too tight??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How did my "fat jeans" become too tight??

Yikes!! I felt like vegging last night, and donned my "fat jeans" for a little extra comfort. Except that they weren't a little extra comfort. I had to undo the top button, so that they wouldn't rip my belly button off!! I bought a treadmill last week, so I guess I better start using it. My goal is a marathon in May - we'll see how this goes! Anyone else in training?

Lily-

I wear motion-control or stability shoes for overpronation. The motion-control shoes are typically the most expensive of all running shoes. They run from $90 - $150 a pair. I don't know if you need motion-control, stability, cushioning, racing (very little foam), or what kind of shoes.

What I do is go to a running shoe specialty store, and ask them to evaluate your gait. They will tell you the best shoe to get. Then, instead of paying $120 there, I go to http://www.holabirdsports.com, and get the shoe (if they are in stock- they usually have prior year's models). They are about $20 less expensive because they are older models.

The more popular shoe brands are Brooks, Mizuno (what I wear), New Balance (have narrow sizes), and MoJo.

If it snows where you live, I would also get YakTrax (about $20), which are stability grippers that fit over your shoes. They take some getting used to, but they really provide some decent cushioning on the concrete!

Hope that helps, and good luck. When is your 5K?

Comment

Lily- Something I forgot in my last post. You might want to get a size larger than you normally wear, because your feet will swell when you run. Learned that one the hard way- lost a couple of toenails!!

Comment

Lily, speaking from experience and lots of advil and ice, get your first pair at a dedicated running store that helps fit your shoes.

I have a pair of unopened YakTrax. Hopefully I can use them this winter.

Comment

Originally posted by *Lily*
          I have to go buy "good" running shoes though, according to my orthopedist. How much do good running shoes cost?
          A good pair will cost you about $100. Give or take depending on whether or not you can find a good sale or you have any problems.
          Proper fit is crucial as is cushioning, stability etc. I recommend you go to a sports shoe store and get fitted. Shoes are so different now that some are made specifically for running. Others are made for sprinting only and will break down after 1-2 months. So going cheaper isn't always better because the shoe will break down and end up hurting your feet in several months.

I've been wearing Asics for about 3 years now and I love them. The shoes I've looked at are between $100-140. yikes! But my feet are killing me from walking my dogs on concrete 1-2 hours daily.

Comment

Regardless of the cost of the shoes - find a GOOD shoe store to buy them. A running store, a store with trained professionals. Ideally they will put you on a treadmill and watch you run or walk and then recommend the correct shoes. Just because the shoes are expensive doesn't mean they are what you need - good luck! 8)
            Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Originally posted by *Lily*
              I've spent more than that on a cute pair of heels! I thought we were talking like $200 - $250 range. Whew!

I have severe scoliosis and have lost the curvature front to back (I don't have a "small" of my lower back anymore - my spine is straight as an arrow from the side, causing tremendous lower back pain and tight hamstrings play in there somewhere too).
              Lily - if you are going to be doing any running with these issues please tell me you are incorporating some yoga/proper stretches to balance out the toll running has on your body. I've had one too many runners with lower back pain from extremely tight hamstrings in my yoga classes. Suffering terrible back problems for 15 years, I can totally relate.

Comment

I have scoliosis too. I just saw an x-ray of my back this year and was floored. I swear I would be a good three inches taller if my spine were straight.

So... I buy NB kids shoes b/c they are cheaper. Is it that bad??

Comment

I've had good luck with the Nike Air Pegasus (around $80 or so) and the Saucony Grid (also around $80-90). Or Assics? Shoot, now I can't remember b/c I'm wearing the Nike now.

Comment

Working...
                  X