Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

3:31:39

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3:31:39

It is done. The Philly Tri was yesterday, and I actually went through with it. Here's a not-so-brief synopsis I sent out to friends and family supporters:

Race day weather was gray and drizzly, but nice and cool. Unfortunately, rain overnight forced the race organizers to cancel the 1K swim, and replace it with a 5K run. The water temp was a perfect 80ยบ, but too much "debris" washed into the river, making it unsafe to swim. So it was really a 5K-40K-10K, run-bike-run duathlon.

Our wave (First-Timers) was the last to start at 7:50 A.M. As we waited our turn, with minutes to go before our running start, James Brown (AKA The Godfather of Soul) started playing on the loudspeakers and our group started moving to the beat. We got off to a strong start, and the 5K was over before I knew it. I was suddenly running past Mom, Dad, Jonathan and several friends cheering me on, waving signs and shouting my name. First leg, done.

We dashed through the transition area, grabbed our bikes & helmets and a quick slug of Gatorade and were on our way again. I got off to a rough start on the cycling portion because of a mechanical issue with my bike. I turned it upside-down and was able to make a wheel adjustment and was on my way again in less than 5 minutes. The biking course was a little tougher than I expected with 8 steep climbs, 2 of them very steep and very long, with a few curves thrown in for extra measure. I quickly earned that there is no shame in 2nd gear! I was able to make each of the 4 climbs twice (the bike portion was a 20K loop we had to complete twice), passing people who were slowing toward the top or who had gotten off their bikes to walk them up the climbs. Toward the end of my 2nd loop, it started to rain lightly. But then there I was, coming down the last hill, approaching my cheering parents and friends again. Knowing I was about to start the final, and for me the most challenging, part of the race, I got a bit choked up hearing them all shout my name. Without my glasses, I couldn't make them all out, but I sure knew they were there.

Back into transition I went, running my bike in, racking it, taking my helmet off, and guzzling another Gatorade. I allowed myself a 1-minute breather and photo-op before walking to the other end of transition and starting the 10K. For those of you who do not know, I consider myself a swimmer first, then a cyclist, and I'll be darned if I ever refer to myself as a runner. But off I went. I saw a lot of the other "First-Timers" walking a good portion of the 10K and I knew that if I stopped, I wouldn't get my legs to start running again, so I kept running. Not very fast, but I kept going. I looked at my watch, 10:10 - the pros had already crossed the finish line. I thought it was much later than that though, so the surprise gave me a charge and got me going! The first mile was slightly uphill. By mile 2 it was some up, some down, but nothing steep. I didn't notice mile markers, I saw a lot of teammates along the way and we cheered one another on in passing. At the turn-around, I sped up a little, knowing I was more than halfway to the finish line. Chugging along to cheering spectators and volunteers - to whom I owe a great debt of gratitude - it started raining a bit harder, but it felt nice. I was grabbing Gatorade and water from every station that offered it, fearful - no, phobic - of cramping just shy of the finish. I knew I was getting close, and suddenly I heard somebody just ahead shouting "Quarter-mile to go!" That's only a few blocks... I'm going to finish! Next thing I heard was "Tenth of a mile to go!" My friends were now in ear-shot and sight and I sprinted with them across the finish line.

I felt pretty good. No cramps or fainting. I was soaked in Gatorade, water, sweat and rain, but thrilled.

3:31:39 was my official time.

I still can't believe it's over. Onto the next!

Woo hoo - congratulations - I will always admire people that do what you did. I'm a much better cheerleader than participant. Congratulations!
    Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Great Job D.!

Comment

:ra: Fantastic! Woohoo! Congrats woman! You are stronger than I! :ra:

Comment

Congratulations, I actually got a little teary reading this. You should be so very proud.
          Luanne
          wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Great job!! I can't believe you did it! And without the swimming and extra running? You must be so happy. I loved your story.
            Angie
            Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
            Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

Awesome job!!! Sounds amazing - be SO proud of yourself!!!! :star:

Comment

Working...
              X