Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Guacamole

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guacamole

Does anyone have a good recipe?
    Should I use a food processor or mortar and pestle?
    married to an anesthesia attending

I have a good basic recipe. It is not a spicy recipe, but I really love it. It is very fresh and tasty.

2 avocados
    1 small onion, finely chopped
    1 clove garlic, minced
    1 ripe tomato, chopped
    1 lime, juiced
    salt and pepper to taste

DIRECTIONS
    Peel and mash avocados in a medium serving bowl. Stir in onion, garlic, tomato, lime juice, salt and pepper. Season with remaining lime juice and salt and pepper to taste. Chill for half an hour to blend flavors.
    Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

The super-easy version is take your favorite salsa and add it to 2 mashed avocados. It tastes good, and in the winter when good tomatoes aren't really available, it's pretty much as good as it gets.

BTW - Uncle Julio's has FANTASTIC guac. AMAZING.

Comment

I usually do something along the lines of what Jenn and Heidi posted. I also like it with lots of lime juice, salt, and a little tomato.
        Mmmm...love avocado.

Comment

I think I may be buying some avocados today! Yum!
          Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

Originally posted by Michele
            I think I may be buying some avocados today! Yum!
            Me too. I LOVE everything avocado.

Comment

It really depends if you like it chunky or soupy. I tried food processor once and decided it was too soupy, so now mash mine with a fork. I pretty much do what Heidi does but use a red onion and also add a bunch of chopped cilantro.

Comment

Wow, we make it all the time but I am a purist.

Avacado, garlic, lemon juice, more garlic.

Yum! And believe it or not the kid loves it, on chips of course.

Comment

I have 5 avocados from Costco that will be turned into guacalmole today. This'll be fun. Thanks for the posts!

Comment

There's a restuarant on the River Walk that makes it tableside. They use a fork so that there's texture.

and guacamole is the only green food my son will consume. In fact, that's what he calls it, "Green".

Jenn

Comment

I'll use a fork. I forgot to buy jalepenos. Darn. I like it spicy.

Dh asked if I could do it tableside for him.

Comment

Originally posted by alison
                        I'
                        Dh asked if I could do it tableside for him.

Comment

I took notes at that San Antonio restaurant once, and if you add cilantro and the juice from half an orange to what Heidi already posted, you get pretty close to what they make.

As far as your husband goes.....you're on your own.
                          Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

I made a very simple version from Los Barrios cookbook- basically avocados, garlic powder, chopped tomatos.

and my friend Mike introduced me to the potato masher as guac implement and I must say it works perfectly.

Jenn

Comment

Originally posted by DCJenn
                              and my friend Mike introduced me to the potato masher as guac implement and I must say it works perfectly.
                              That's BRILLANT! I'll have to try that next time.
                              Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Working...
                              X