Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

30 days, 30 new recipes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cook's Illustrated recommends browning chicken before adding it to the crock pot for food safety reasons. I did this last time I made Jenn's Indian chicken and removed the skin. It was nice because I knew it was cooked thoroughly in 4 hrs.

Slow-Cooker Moroccan Spiced Chicken w/ Apricots
    from Cook's Illustrated

serves 6

6 bone in skin on chicken breasts or 12 bone in skin on thighs
    2 T vegetable oil
    2 onions, chopped medium
    1 1/2 tsp hot paprika (or sweet paprika plus some cayenne pepper)
    1/2 tsp cardomom
    6 garlic cloves minced
    3 cups chicken broth
    1 c dried apricots, cut in half
    1 cinnamon stick
    1 can chickpeas, rinsed
    1/4 flour
    1/4 minced cilantro
    2 T lemon juice

1. Dry chicken w/ paper towels, season w/ salt and pepper. Heat 2 tsp oil in skillet, brown chicken on both sides, about 10 minutes and the add to slow cooker (remove skin if using thighs). Do in two batches using 2 tsp oil for the second batch. Discard fat left in skillet.

2. Add remaining 2 tsp oil and heat until shimmering. Add onions, paprika, cardomom, and 1/4 tsp salt. Cook until onions softened, 5 min. Stir in garlic, cook 15 seconds, add 2.5 c broth, apricots, cinnamon stick, scraping up browned bits. Bring to simmer, then pour into cooker.

3. Cover and cook on low for 3 hrs. Stir in chickpeas, replace cover, cook for another hour.

4. Transfer chicken to platter, tent with foil. Remove cinnamon stick. Turn cooker to high. Whisk flour and remaining 1/2 c broth then add to slow cooker. Cover and continue cooking for 15-30 minutes until thickened. Stir in cilantro and lemon juice and season with salt and pepper to taste. Spoon vegetables and some of the sauce over chicken. Serve w/ rice or couscous.

Comment

Lamb Vindaloo I have a lot of lamb in the freezer so please give a new way to prpare it!! Thanks in advance!

Comment

Hungarian Beef Goulash
        Mexican-Style Pork Stew
        Lamb Vindaloo
        These 3 sound yummy. We brought lots of paprika from Hungary, I need an excuse to use it.

Comment

I totally forgot all about this. But I did get a new cookbook over the weekend and planned to try poaching tilapia today.

Comment

Doh! I completely forgot about this. Maybe in March.... :alarmclock:

Comment

I love Cooking Light.
              My favorite books/recipies are French.

Comment

I'd suggest starting with Barefoot Contessa in Paris. Her recipies are very easy and un-intimidating. Julia Child scares me a bit.

I went to a wok class at WS over the weekend and learned lots of helpful stuff. Now I just need to find a cheaper equivalent of their sauces (I'm thinking TJ) and a new wok.

Comment

So I recently bought this Rachel Ray cookbook

http://www.amazon.com/Classic-30-Minute ... F8&s=books

It has all her "best" recipes IMO, we're working our way through it - the only nights we're not eating out of this week and last are when we're having guests or going out.
                  Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

I have her 365 No Repeats which is great. I'm going to look on amazon for some 2 people meals. I know Rachel has one but I'm going to look for a couple others. I have a ton of cookbooks but it really is a pain to halve recipes. It's much easier to double them, I've found!

So, we have two more weeks and then its just me and the dude. Maybe this will be the time to get him to eat green foods. (other than guacamole he still will not eat green foods)

Jenn

Comment

Originally posted by DCJenn
                      I have her 365 No Repeats which is great. I'm going to look on amazon for some 2 people meals. I know Rachel has one but I'm going to look for a couple others. I have a ton of cookbooks but it really is a pain to halve recipes. It's much easier to double them, I've found!

So, we have two more weeks and then its just me and the dude. Maybe this will be the time to get him to eat green foods. (other than guacamole he still will not eat green foods)

Jenn
                      Yes, don't get the 2,4,6 book that Rachel has. I thought it would have recipes with proportions for 2,4,6 etc but it has a 2 section, a 4 section, etc. and the 2 section is way too small IMO. Luckily no one got it for me when I asked for it for Christmas. I haver her 365 as well but have probably only used 1/4 of them, I find her "master" but then change these ingredients hard to follow.
                      Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

I have a brand new RR book at home that I never used. I'll ship it to whoever is interested. Let me check tonight which one it is. I like her show but I don't like the book.

Comment

I have several two-people cookbooks on hold in my cart on amazon- now just waiting for payday!

Jenn

Comment

Working...
                          X