Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

$11 well spent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• $11 well spent

For $11, I have super sharp like new knives. Woohoo! :wee: I dropped 3 knives off at a knife store for professional sharpening. Why don't I do this more often?

Anyone need something chopped? Into a really small dice?

Originally posted by Ladybug
    Totally worth it. I had mine sharpened in CHicago. Pure bliss.
    Where did you take them?
    married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

BTW, QFC in Seattle will do them for you for free.

Comment

I sharpen my own. Makes suuuuuch a difference!!!!

Comment

I have a steel and hone them. I've used the pull-through sharpeners and the results aren't as good (IMO).

I went to a specialty cutlery store. Some kitchen equipment places will do it. Sur La Table does but it is their employees using a machine. A local store here similar to Sur La Table brings in someone once a month. I want a professional to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by alison
            Totally worth it. I had mine sharpened in CHicago. Pure bliss.
            Where did you take them?
            Northwest Cutlery, I think. It's downtown on Lake Ave. They charge $3 per knife.
            Thanks, Annie!
            I have a Shun knife that I don't want some bozo at Dominick's f*cking up. It's so blunt that I don't use it anymore because I'm afraid I will hurt myself.

Comment

Our gourmet shop has a sign up that says "Knife sharpening on Thursdays". I suppose you are telling me it's worth it? I may have to go.
              Angie
              Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
              Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

I still haven't gotten decent knifes, the shoes usually win. But cooking with steak knifes is really getting to me and I'm finally considering investing into real chef knifes. Any recommendations?

Comment

Angie, yes it is worth it. I don't realize how dull they get until I have them sharpened.

Vishenka -- I think that a recent Cook's Illustrated and/or Fine Cooking had some knife ratings and recommendations. I'll check and post here. I think it would be worth it to test out or hold in your hand at a store.

Comment

Try a "Shun" knife, Vishenka. They're made for little, Japanese hands. (I can say this right? Being of Japanese ancestry and all) :> No seriously, they've got more comfortable grips than most knives. I like Henckels - I buy them in Germany and bring them back, but I don't like them as much as my Japanese knife...

Comment

I NEED to get mine sharpened!!!! I've keep meaning to look into it, but I don't. I'm happy with my Wusthof knives, but I've not really tried any others....ooohh, must look into Japanese knives!!

My parents always comment on how sharp my knives are when the visit and I keep complaining how dull they are...I'm miserable when I try to cook over there!

OK....will look into it on Tuesday!
                      Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

I have a couple Japanese knives but the rest of mine are Wusthof- I love them!!

Comment

I have Henkels knives. I received them as a gift. I took a knife skills class a few years ago and got to test out a few different ones. I like the Henkels but there was one I tried at the class which I liked a bit better. (That would be the maximiser talking). I think it is important to go with what feels good in your hand.

I have a 3" or so paring knife, 6" knife that is sort of like a small chef's knife, an 8" chef's knife, a serrated bread knife (Messermiester), and kitchen shears. I use the paring and chefs the most. I forgot to get the shears sharpened. I would like to get a boning knife.

Cook's Illustrated liked thes chef's knives: Victorinox Fibrox 8", Glestain Gyutou, Kershaw Shun 8.25 Ken Onion, MAC 8" Superior, Kershaw Shun 8" Alton's Angle (in order of preference). All of these are recommended.

Here is a link to some Fine Cooking articles about knives:
                          http://www.taunton.com/finecooking/coll ... nives.aspx

Annie's right -- you'll wonder what you ever did without them.

Michele -- I suggest looking in the phonebook under cutlery or knives. You might find something that way. Or call a local kitchen goods shop and see if they have someone come by.

Comment

After our return/rebuy Bed Bath & Beyond scam... er I mean "taking advantage of their system" from the wedding....I have a whole block o' Wusthof knives. I have two 3.5" paring knives, a 4" utility knife, a 5" sausage knife (serrated), a boning knife, a bread knife, a carver, shears, steel and TWO 8"chefs' knives. I practically can't do anything with out a chef's knife in my hand. I worked with a surgeon who always needed a Freer periosteal elevator (bone tool) for every procedure, even soft tissue ones. I remember thinking "what a prima donna!" And look at me! I'm the same way with my chef's knife!
                            Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

Wow, Michele! That is a whole mess of knives. It might get expensive to get them all done at once.

Comment

Working...
                              X