Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Make me look like a better cook than I am...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Make me look like a better cook than I am...

Help...The family that we're staying with, well, they're foodies. Last night they invited us to an "impromptu" cookout that was really well done. We said that we would reciprocate this weekend and everyone agreed that they liked salmon on the grill.

Sooooo....help! I um, have never grilled fish. What sort of marinade can I throw together? Side dishes? I want it to look like I know what I'm doing (and doing it with ease). Normally I put fish under our broiler with a bit of olive oil and garlic and call it done. Side dishes typically consist of whatever I pull out of the freezer to heat in the stove or boil.

Am I overthinking this. Maybe I should just buy some fresh salmon and good beer and call it a day?

Thoughts?

Kelly
    In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Kelly - I have a really easy Salmon recipe, you just grill the salmon (or broil it) and then there is a corn/tomato salsa that goes on top - its SUPER easy, and very delicious. I'll type it out when I get home. I always grill my salmon on aluminum foil b/c its so brittle I don't want it dropping between the slats.

As for sides, the easiest side for a grill IMO is grilled veggies. Get summer veggies, like squash and cut them into bite size pieces drizzle them with olive oil and then wrap them in aluminum foil - put the whole thing on the grill for 10-15 minutes until they're tender.

You'll do fine!
    Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

You mean you don't have a stack of cedar felled in accordance with environmentally friendly forest maintenance programs with which to grill your wild line caught salmon?

Here's a no fail salmon recipe also- If you find whole filets- like Coho salmon, you wash the fish under water. Take a giant sheet of aluminum foil. Put the fishy on the foil. Sprinkle him inside and out with some salt and pepper. Make the foil into a packet and then pour in some OJ. Add some crushed garlic and a little chopped onion if you'd like. Drizzle on a little olive oil. If you really want to wow them, slice some oranges and line the inside of the fish w/ orange slices. Seal up your packet 'o fish and throw on the grill. The salmon steams in the OJ and its a throw away (well, a recycle) cooking vessel.

I like the grilled veggies- Alton (I love Alton) says to do all of the same kinds of veggies on their own skewers because it makes it easier to cook them to the correct doneness.

Jenn

Comment

Kelly -- all of these suggestions are great. The nice thing about salmon is that it is a firmer fish (won't fall apart as easily) and fatty (stays moist). Still, if overcooked it will dry out so keep an eye on the clock. I like to cook it medium. The foil is a good suggestion too.

I made the Salmon with Honey-Coriander Glaze that Annie posted. Very tasty and it could be done on the grill. You could make the ginger rice as a side.

I have also had great luck with this:
        For one filet (3-4 lbs), whisk together 3T melted butter, 1/4 c brown sugar, 1/4c dry white wine, 1/4c lemon juice, 2T Dijon mustard, 1T chopped fresh thyme, 1 tsp salt, and 1/2 tsp pepper.

Grill the salmon, skin side down, on top of heavy duty foil over indirect heat (but don't close up the foil on top). Brush w/ the glaze every 5 minutes or so, just until opaque but still moist-looking in the center of the thickest part (cut to test), about 25 min

If you want to make it with a more Asian flavor, subsitute soy sauce for the wine and lime for lemon. You can also use oil instead of butter. And have the ginger rice, a salad, and some edamame.

Baked potatoes or garlic bread and a salad are always good.

Good luck! May the forks be with you!

Comment

These are all awesome suggestions!!!

When in doubt (or in a bind) use the foil, s & p, butter and garlic -- if you are feeling crazy add some fresh dill to one filet (some people don't like dill).

Serve with a tossed salad and some boxed risotto (fix before and heat up)??? Check the organic section at your local supermarket. They seem to have quick sides that are yummier than the regular stuff.

The grilled veggies are yummy too but might not be enough for two full families??

Have FUN!!!!!
          Flynn

Wife to post training CT surgeon; mother of three kids ages 17, 15, and 11.

“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” —Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets " Albus Dumbledore

Comment

Jacque Pepin also has some good sauces and recipes for salmon. I've tried two - one is salsa w/mayo and the other is heavy cream w/horseradish and chives. Both were very yummy and got fully devoured.

Comment

Working...
            X