Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Neal's Florida Shrimp Special

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neal's Florida Shrimp Special

As I mentioned elsewhere, my grandfather passed away on July 31. I wasn't able to attend the memorial since we were moving and I had seen him about 6 weeks prior. I wanted to do something -- my own little thing to remember him. I've been thinking back on time spent with him and remembered a dinner he made for us about 12 or 13 years ago. He sent me the recipe by mail shortly after that. Fairly often, he used to send me notes with newspaper clippings or other little things he thought I would like. I hope I remember to do that sort of thing for my grandkids. I don't think i adequately appreciated it at the time.

Luckily I was able to find this note he sent and make the shrimp dish for dinner. I don't know if this is a recipe original to him or one that he improvised or modified. It is basically a version of New Orleans BBQ shrimp. It's been ages since I made it partly because I forgot I had it and also when he sent it to me, I probably couldn't to spend the money on shrimp AND beer.

So...this was my send-off. A rememberance of an evening as his guest and a mutual interest in food. I couldn't help but use Pike's Naughty Nellie beer. Also, I cracked whole peppercorns wrapped in a dish towel with a hammer. That seems to work best.

I didn't plan this out so well. I'm in a quieter mood and DH is feeling celebratory having taken the boards. Oops. I'm reflecting on the roses he grew, learning to surf fish in Florida (is that what it's called when you fish from the beach?), how much he liked licorice, and those occasional phone calls when I caught him at home but my grandma wasn't there (she would pick up another receiver and sometimes I preferred to talk to him alone which would have offended her). Thanks too to JP for a shout out from the St. Louis arch, where he is originally from. My Anna is named for his mother Anna, an awesome spunky lady who raised three kids on her own after her husband left her (when my grandfather was 10 or 11) and worked at a Dolly Madison for years and I believe later owned it.

____

Serve these spicy shrimp with plenty of warm French bread to sop up the fiery sauce. Two servings.

3 TBS butter or margarine
    3/4 (or more) pound large shrimp in their shells, remove heads and legs without pulling off the shell. The shell adds flavor
    2 TBS coarse black pepper
    1/4 tsp salt (very important)
    1 TBS worcestershire sauce
    8 or 9 oz beer (drink the rest) but have some more on hand to clear the pepper from the throat

In a large skillet warm the butter over moderate high heat until shimmering. Add shrimp and saute for 1 minute on each side of the shrimp. Add the pepper, worcestershire sauce, salt, and stir lightly. Stir in the beer. Bring to a boil and cook for 2 minutes longer. Pour the shrimp and sauce into 2 shallow plates or bowls and serve hot. Sop sauce with bread. Simple!
    To eat use fork to pick up shrimp and remove shell with fingers. The only way! Enjoy!

Oh Nellie, this made me cry! I think I'll try this recipe very soon.
    Luanne
    wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Very sweet, what a nice tribute. I'm so sorry about your grandfather.
      ~Jane

-Wife of urology attending.
      -SAHM to three great kiddos (2 boys, 1 girl!)

Comment

Nellie, I must have missed your post about your grandfather....I am so sorry to hear of his passing.

Comment

That's such a nice story Nellie. I'll add it to the list of food to feed Rick upon his return.

Jenn

PS- I wish my grandmothers had a food legacy. Nope- one would be mac and tomatos and one would be ham BBQ. Ick for both.

Comment

What a wonderful and touching way to remember him.

Comment

Jory comes home on Friday night and I plan to make this on Saturday to celebrate my passing boards.
              Luanne

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Delicious!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I had to improvise a little, but definitely delicious.
                Luanne

Comment

Working...
                X