Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Anybody ever use Dream Dinners (or similar)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody ever use Dream Dinners (or similar)?

I know this isn't applicable to everyone, but has anyone here ever gone to one of these franchise places where you make the meals and then freeze them when you get home? I am considering checking it out. Getting dinner cooked between soccer games/practices and not knowing when or if DH will be home is not going well. I realize that I could freeze stuff ahead on my own, but I don't. I am liking the idea of no shopping and no clean up.....I really very much enjoy the actual working-with-food part.

Any thoughts? The one I am looking at seems to be around $250 for 12 meals of 6 servings each, depending on which meals you choose. Cheaper than eating out, and more nutritious, too.

Sally
    Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

I have done them several times because I thought they would go over well. I was wrong on the most part. The portions are pretty small for my DHs taste. I still have many meals in my freezer. They may go over well for older kids but my 6 yr old says no go.

Comment

I did that a couple of times last year -- I hate to cook so it seemed like a good alternative. I thought the food was decent (DH will eat anything, bless him). It takes a while to prepare the meals at the store, so if I were to do it again, I'd pay the extra fee to have them make it for me (I know, so lazy!).

Anyway, I'd say it's worth a try. It's definitely nice to have all the ingredients right there, already chopped up.
      Wife to a urologist; Mom to 2 wonderful kiddos

Comment

Previous thread on this topic, so I don't just repeat myself

http://medicalspouse.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=13953
        Sandy
        Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

I'll be doing this before the baby is born. The plan is to have the freezer stocked so that when I come home from the hospital whoever is helping me can just stick something in the oven. I've had salmon and a rosemary flank steak from one when we were eating at a friends', they were YUMMY!
          Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

I am actually doing this tonight for free. The MOPS program here is doing it tonight, and my friend who is in MOPS invited me to go along. I will get to try out both things at the same time. They have an option where you can pay more and get 6 meals (like $45), but I want to try it for free first. I really don't mind cooking, but I do like the idea of being out with other moms while doing it.
            Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

Originally posted by Vanquisher
              I really don't mind cooking, but I do like the idea of being out with other moms while doing it.
              I like the social aspect of Dream Dinners. The hot Australian who owns ours is a nice perk, too....there's something about a man with an accent and apron who is willing to help me put a meal together.

I think our Dream Dinners is about $250 for 12 meals, but with the various specials and discounts that they offer, I can usually do it for $160-180. It takes me about 2 hours to make 12 meals....but, I'm usually gabbing with friends so I'm sure it can be done much quicker.

Sally, I don't know if 6 servings will feed your whole family. The serving sizes can sometimes be on the small side.....although the lasagna & calzones are large enough to feed an army.

Comment

We have one close by and I know that some of the neighbors really like it. I wish I lived close to you. Last night I cooked several meals, watched thte Lifetime channel, and sipped wine!!!!!!! Since it is only DH and me I called my friend Barbara, she lives next door, is a single mom, with three kids in many activities. It works for both of us. I love to cook and she is super busy. This way I get to cook (relaxing and fun for me) and I don't have to waste food. My daughter will also take food home!!!!!
                Luanne
                wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

I've done it and think it's perfect for the kind of situation you're describing. I was quite pleased with the portion sizes. We ran into the problem of whether or not the kids would eat it (they're picky), but if your guys are good eaters, then it should be not only workable, but really helpful for your busy life.

A couple suggestions:

Don't be afraid to pick 2 or 3 of the entrees that sound really good to you and make more than one of each. The first time I did it, it never occurred to me that I could repeat, so I ended up including some meals that I should have known would NOT be a hit here.

Don't waste the $ on sides. The places I've been charge the same for sides as for entrees. The cost per serving ends up being really good if you make multiple beef or shimp dishes, but pretty crappy if you've got 2 orders of mashed potatoes.

I hope it works out for you!

Comment

I've been going to Super Suppers every month since we found one in March of this year. We're not always jumping up and down about the meals but sometimes they are really great and, at worst, not that bad. It runs me 135 for 6 meals and that usually lasts us a month with all of the servings and breaking old favorites into the rotation. I like it because I can get in and out in an hour with 8 entrees (maybe even a glass of sangria) and avoid some grocery shopping/chopping/planning/stress.

Don't get me wrong, I really like to cook. But there are days that it seems like it's never going to end (why do we have to eat EVERY FREAKIN DAY?!?). This allows me to have days where I don't have to plan or think without deferring to takeout (our previous plan as our waistelines can attest), and helps me really enjoy the times when I'm a little more engaged in what I'm making. After a solid year of takeout, this is really what saved us.

Comment

Working...
                    X