Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Pantry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pantry

Jenn's post in another thread got me thinking. I've never had much cabinet space but with the installation of a self standing unit I now have a pantry - yay!

What are your staples and do you replenish them when you use the last one or when they are on sale? Tips, advice for keeping a pantry properly stocked would be greatly appreciated.
    Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

I try!

Are you looking for suggestions for canned goods, pastas, sauces, or spices. I'm blessed with a LOT of cabinet space (it's still all full though), so my pantry is probably a bit bigger than others.

If I remember correctly, REAL SIMPLE had a pantry list a bit back. As for my basics though:

black beans, pinto beans, kidney beans, refried beans (who wants to visit now??)
    lots of my favorite preserves (b/c they're from TJ's and I have to stock up when I can)
    diced tomatoes
    tomato paste / sauce
    canned corn
    cream of mushroom / chicken / celery
    lipton onion soup mix
    rice
    various pastas

there's more ....

I try to replace when I know I'm out of something -- if I wait for a sale I forget and then don't have it when I need it.

Comment

Various spices
      Various baking ingredients (flours, sugars, baking soda, etc.)
      Various vinegars
      Various oils
      Bottled sauces and/or marinades - (worcesteshire, soy, enchilada, etc.)
      Black and refried beans
      Pastas of various shapes
      Rice
      A few boxed things and snacks for quick and easy meals or sides.
      Snacks like chips, cookies, popcorn, dried cranberries, etc.
      At least a few boxes of cold cereal
      Canned soup (cream of mushroom) and lipton onion soup mix
      Various tomatoes (diced, stewed, sauce, paste)
      Other bottled or canned items including but not limited to tuna, peanut butter, honey, canned vegetables (corn, green beans), olives, pineapple, mandarin oranges
      Saltines, oatmeal, grits, cornflakes, baking mix, bread crumbs (plain, italian, and panko)
      Chicken and beef stock

Whew. That's not all, but that's the basics of what I try to have stocked.
      Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

black beans, kidney beans, refried beans
        diced tomatoes
        tomato paste
        cream of mushroom / chicken
        rice
        pastas
        orzo
        Mandarin oranges
        Canned Artichokes
        tapenades
        various nuts
        flour
        sugar
        various vinegars
        olive oil
        olives
        chicken stock
        couscous
        various spices and rubs
        wasa crackers
        alfredo sauce
        extra mayo
        sauerkraut
        garbanzo beans

I think that's about it for pantry foods that I keep regularly stocked.

Comment

I like your lists, Stella.
          married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

I do a combination of restocking when I use something up and purchasing staples when I see them on sale. We have a pantry in our kitchen and a 'pantry overflow' in our basement. I store the staples that I buy on sale down in the basement. Sometimes that leads to overstocking though - one time we had 10 bags of egg noodles plus multiple boxes of other types of pasta.
            Cranky Wife to a Peds EM in private practice. Mom to 5 girls - 1 in Heaven and 4 running around in princess shoes.

Comment

I also keep a variety of nuts (pine, almonds whole and slivers, peanuts) and cheeses (parmiaggiano, goat, feta) on hand to spice up a recipe or jazz up a salad.

Comment

Cupboard #1- cooking supplies- the basics- corn oil, olive oil (one for cooking one for drizzling), cornstarch, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, various extracts, salt, extra pepper, cupcake papers, etc.

Cupboard #2- boil in the bag rices- brown and white, croutons, bread crumbs, stuff that I use but not that often- so they're on the topmost shelf

Second shelf- canned goods: tomato sauce/paste/diced/crushed, beans- much like Stella's list, soups- creamed and others, extra salsas, spaghetti-o's, etc.

First shelf- the spices that don't fit on the spice rack or that are refills for the ones that are out. (I buy replacements in the bulk section), jello, and all beverages- mexican chocolate, all the teas, the instant coffees, etc.

Next cupboard- top shelf- variety of cold cereals

Second shelf- crackers, pretzels, etc. Hot cereals

First shelf- flours, nuts, tuna/crab/canned chicken, things like fish fry stuff- and everything from the bulk foods section that has no other home.

I also have a bakers rack that hold all of the pots and pans and the top shelf of this also hold anything that I buy in bulk and the open bags of snacks. Candy and sweets go in the junk drawer where I tend to forget about them.

Jenn

Comment

Originally posted by alison
                  I like your lists, Stella.
                  I didn't even add the wine. But I guess it has its own pantry.

Comment

I buy when I'm low and stock up when it's on-sale.

canned stuff:
                    diced tomatoes
                    artichoke hearts
                    mushrooms
                    clams
                    tuna
                    beans
                    chicken broth

cooking wine (i'm so lame and addicted to the salt )
                    olive oil
                    clam juice

various pastas
                    various rices

I also have the baking basics....flours, sugars, baking powder/soda, etc

I usually have a boxed cake mix and frosting on hand, mac-n-cheese, snack foods for work, and recently bisquick mix.

In my fridge, I always have garlic, onion and butter.
                    Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

In my fridge, I always have garlic, onion and butter.
                      Yes, totally forgot about that. I also try to have at least 2 kinds of onions (red & white, often shallots). Although I keep both garlic and onions in the pantry where they last longer, for some reason neither likes my fridge, they get too cold and go soft and mushy.

Comment

I didn't even post what I keep in my fridge at all times. The list gets considerably longer if you add all that. Yes though, butter, garlic, milk, eggs, onion, and much more!
                        Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

Originally posted by Vanquisher
                          I didn't even post what I keep in my fridge at all times. The list gets considerably longer if you add all that. Yes though, butter, garlic, milk, eggs, onion, and much more!
                          Ditto! Fridge basics are a whole new list!

Coca Cola
                          lots and lots of cheese (typically some combination of sharp cheddar, brie, bleu, gorganzola, mozzarella, camambert, feta, gouda, goat/chevre, etc.)
                          sour cream
                          blackberry jam
                          smuckers reduced fat all natural PB (so good!)
                          lettuce
                          tomato
                          onion
                          red pepper
                          asparagus
                          eggs
                          non-flour bread
                          honey dijon dressing
                          mayo and mustard
                          Edmond Fallot dijon mustard from france
                          jarred sweet peppers
                          jarred jalepenos
                          jarred pepperoncini
                          jarred hot red peppers from italy
                          Salsa
                          balsamic vinagrette
                          beer

Freezer?

frozen chicken, edamame, vodka, rum, ouzo, etc, etc.

Comment

Working...
                          X