Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Favorite Soup Recipe??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Favorite Soup Recipe??

Mom's Steak Soup

This was a winter staple in my house growing up. I LOVE it and it's great if you get the bread boules to serve it in. yummy!!! (the comments are my moms)

Steak Soup

1 lb chopped (ground) round - I always use more meat. Like maybe two pounds, or so.
    1/2 lb oleo (that's margarine for you people under 35)- I always use less, like maybe 1/2 stick. You just have to be careful that the roux doesn't stick. Should be fine.
    1 C flour
    1/2 gal water ( 4 C)
    fresh ground pepper to taste
    omit any salt
    1 large carrot - or equivalent
    1 med onion
    1 stalk celery
    1 pgh frozen mixed veg
    1 can salt free diced tomatoes or can salt free tomatoes put through food processor ( this is because your father doesn't like the tomato chunks).
    4 tbsp beef bouillion granules, or 4 beef boullion cubes or 4 cups low sodium beef broth. I like the beef broth these days. Has a better flavor, I think.

Make a roux: Melt the margarine, stir in the flour, cook for a
    minute or two. Use a low burner, the flour can brown too quickly.
    Slowly add two cups of the water. Stir until smooth. ( a whisk is your best friend). Add all other ingredients except meat. Set aside. In another pan, saute meat until browned. Drain off any grease. Ad meat to veg mixture and simmer, stirring occasionally for a while (or put in crock pot), until veg are tender. Skim off any top fat. If soup needs to be thickened, add more roux by mixing liquid with flour ( like making gravy). Can be frozen for later use.

Now, I made the roux and browned the meat and then dumped it all into the crock pot on low for 4 hours and high for 30 minutes.

Comment

Jenn, you inspired me to make some soups this year. We had this tonight and it was yummy!

Golden Winter Soup

Ingredients
      2 tablespoons butter
      5 cups (1/2-inch) cubed peeled butternut squash (about 1 1/2 pounds)
      2 cups (1/2-inch) cubed peeled russet potato (about 12 ounces)
      1 teaspoon kosher salt
      1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
      2 cups sliced leek (about 2 medium)
      4 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
      1 cup half-and-half
      12 ounces baguette, cut into 16 slices
      3/4 cup (3 ounces) shredded Gruyère cheese
      3 tablespoons chopped chives
      Freshly ground black pepper (optional)

Preparation
      Preheat broiler.
      Melt butter in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add squash, potato, salt, and pepper to pan; sauté 3 minutes. Add leek; sauté 1 minute. Stir in broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes or until potato is tender, stirring occasionally. Place half of potato mixture in a blender. Remove center piece of blender lid (to allow steam to escape); secure blender lid on blender. Place a clean towel over opening in blender lid (to avoid splatters). Blend until smooth. Pour into a large bowl. Repeat procedure with remaining potato mixture. Stir in half-and-half. Cover and keep warm.

Arrange bread slices in a single layer on a baking sheet; sprinkle evenly with cheese. Broil bread slices 2 minutes or until golden. Ladle 1 cup soup into each of 8 bowls; top each serving with about 1 teaspoon chives. Serve 2 bread slices with each serving. Garnish with freshly ground black pepper, if desired.

Wine note: This is one vegetable soup that can easily handle a lighter red wine. Stick with the French theme and look for bargains from Burgundy, like Louis Jadot Pinot Noir 2005 ($20). This wine has pretty red berry fruit, great balance, and gentle tannins that make it ideal for lower-fat dishes. The underlying earthy, leathery flavors bring out the rustic nuances of the potatoes and squash. —Jeffery Lindenmuth

Yield
      8 servings

Nutritional Information
      CALORIES 329(30% from fat); FAT 10.9g (sat 6.2g,mono 3g,poly 0.9g); PROTEIN 12.8g; CHOLESTEROL 30mg; CALCIUM 217mg; SODIUM 813mg; FIBER 4.8g; IRON 3.2mg; CARBOHYDRATE 46.7g

Barbara Kafka , Cooking Light, JANUARY 2008
      Cranky Wife to a Peds EM in private practice. Mom to 5 girls - 1 in Heaven and 4 running around in princess shoes.

Comment

Steak soup? Yum! That's up for next week!
        Cranky Wife to a Peds EM in private practice. Mom to 5 girls - 1 in Heaven and 4 running around in princess shoes.

Comment

Heidi, I made the Easy Chicken Tortilla Soup last night and it is really good. I just had a bowl for lunch. I bought the ingredients for the Crab & Corn Bisque, trhat is next!
          Luanne
          wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

I give up on soup. MAN!

I made some broccoli cheddar - I won't even post the recipe - and it was great the first night, but I swear, I would have needed a concrete truck to keep that stuff from getting all slodgy. I guess I need to add something (what?) to keep more soupy.
            married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

Originally posted by Luanne123
              Heidi, I made the Easy Chicken Tortilla Soup last night and it is really good. I just had a bowl for lunch. I bought the ingredients for the Crab & Corn Bisque, trhat is next!
              Yay, Luanne, I'm so glad you liked it!
              Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

Ours is delightfully simple

4 c chicken broth
                1 package of tortellini
                scallions
                parmesan or romano cheese

Cook the tortellini and scallions in the broth until the tortellini is done. Top with grated cheese. Yum!
                Kris

Comment

HouseOfWool - Gotta love those easy soup recipes!

Comment

Heidi, I made the corn and crab bisque and it was delicious. I changed it a little, I used the fake crab meat and light cream instead of heavy cream. Very good!
                    Luanne
                    wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Sam found this soup recipe. We had it tonight. Yummy!! :dinner:

Philly Cheese Steak Soup

3/4 cup butter
                      2/3 cup all-purpose flour
                      1 green pepper , diced
                      1 medium white onion , diced
                      8 ounces fresh mushrooms , sliced
                      6 cups milk
                      1 (10 1/2 ounce) can beef consomme (or beef broth)
                      3/4 lb cooked beef or rib eye , diced
                      8 ounces provolone cheese
                      1 teaspoon salt
                      1 teaspoon black pepper

-Melt butter in large, heavy-bottomed stock pot or Dutch oven over medium heat.
                      -Add green peppers, onion, and mushrooms and saute until tender (about 5 minutes).
                      -Add flour and cook another 5 minutes stirring often.
                      -Slowly whisk in milk and bring to a simmer stirring often until soup thickens.
                      -Reduce heat to medium low and stir in beef consomme, salt and pepper.
                      -Slowly stir in provolone until all is melted and incorporated into soup.
                      -Remove from heat and stir in roast beef.
                      -Serve with a crusty loaf of french bread.

Makes 8 servings.
                      We omited the butter and used skim milk and it was 6 points. I think if you use margarine it is 10 points.

Comment

Working...
                      X