Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Favorite French Onion Soup???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favorite French Onion Soup???

Help! Fast??

I'm hoping to make it in bread bowls for tonight. Last minute nice dinner together.

:anyolne:

Re: Favorite French Onion Soup???

THANK YOU!!!!

but it won't be as good as yours I'm sure. No sherry and I only have mozarella cheese. Still, it looks like I can make it work. well, I'll be modifying quite a bit actually.

Comment

Last night I made the French Onion Soup in the current issue of Cook's Illustrated. Super-yum. The onions roast in the over for 2 1/2 hours. Pretty low maintenance for that part but you need to be home.

Comment

Where has my typing gone? I meant to say roast in the oven for 2.5 hours.

The recipes are similar. They suggest halving the onion pole to pole and then slicing in 1/4" slices and use chicken broth and beef broth. I had no beef broth and used chicken broth and h20 and DH thought it was beef broth, I think because the onions get so caramelly. Minus the flour, same ingredients. I didn't have sherry and used Madeira, which seemed to turn out fine.

Comment

Mais oui, in the blue Le Creuset.

I love French Onion Soup. I can't believe I don't make it more often.

Comment

Is there a difference between broth and stock?
            married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

There is and now I can't remember the difference. One is stronger than the other. I think broth is stronger but I'm not sure.

I use the Imagine brand of Chicken Stock or make my own. Whenever I roast a chicken I either make stock with the carcass or put it in the freezer to make with the next roast chicken (ditto for the backs, necks, etc that come with whole chickens cut into parts).

Comment

Stock is made with bones. Broth is made with meat. Stock is usually more concentrated, but has a slightly different flavor and usually less sodium. They cannot be used interchangeably necessarily.
                Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

See? I can't remember the difference. I guess I make stock becauase I often leave meat on the bones or throw in an uncooked chicken neck or some wings if I have them in the freezer.

Comment

Working...
                  X