Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Packing lunch..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Packing lunch..

Almost anything can be wrapped up in a whole grain burrito.
    Luanne
    wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Re: Packing lunch..

I always prepare enough dinner to take for lunch the following day. Makes life so much easier in the mornings.

If you go to the parenting section, we have a whole list of healthy lunch ideas.

Jenn

Comment

Yup, I do what Jenn does. I cook enough for the following day for both dh and me. These re-heat well in the microwave:

Spaghetti bolognese
      Casseroles
      Salmon (baked with a thin crust of mayonnaise, dill, capers - I can post the recipe if you'd like), rice and broccoli
      Couscous
      married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

I have a yummy make-ahead burrito/wrap thing that you can freeze. They're flavorful and full of black beans. If you're interested let me know and I'll dig up the recipe.

Comment

and I always, ALWAYS have the following on hand to throw in someone's lunch box:

yogurts
          fruit
          fruit roll-ups
          a variety of nuts (pre-measured for me, not so much for Rick. Nikolai is anti-nut except in butter form)
          pudding snacks (for me. I don't share)
          banana chips

and- if you're near a CVS or the Soviet Safeway (I think that's the one near where you work), then you're close enough to stock up on 5 Lean Cuisines at a time.

Jenn

Comment

I remember the Soviet Safeway. I believe it refers to the fact that the shelves are almost always bare...
            ~Jane

-Wife of urology attending.
            -SAHM to three great kiddos (2 boys, 1 girl!)

Comment

I went to Emory, and we had the same names for Kroger- Crack Kroger ( bad neighborhood), Jewish Kroger (cause of all the people walking by it to temple)......
              Mom to three wild women.

Comment

the Soviet Safeway is the only one in DC that has no fresh vegetables (except root veggies), the toilet paper with bark in it and no beer.

Jenn

Comment

We had the Crackmeria King Soopers on Krameria St. Always nice to have the store protected by armed security guards.

Julia, I have Michael Pollan's recent (or kind of recent) book on my shelf waiting to read. I think I would get the gist faster by listening to that interview. Good luck! Interesting and tasty lunches can be a challenge but worth it. I liked bringing leftovers that met your criteria. Until I got sick of that...

Comment

Well, there's the go-to sandwiches. I know it sounds boring, so I try to shake things up a bit with different breads (pumpernickel this week!), good cheese (havarti!), and decent meat (smoked lite turkey!) dressed with herbed garlic mayo, lettuce, and tomato. Now... that's not so bad, right? I also bring my boxed organic soups (Pacific Natural Foods is my FAV!) and it's a perfect combo. I also like making salads and adding the dressing at lunch time or doing the sandwich thing in wrap form. Soon, I'm going to figure out how to bring my steamfresh veggie bags and grilled chicken.

Comment

I know you were looking for ideas other than leftovers, but give it a try. I always cook for four since most recipes are for at least that many servings. After we finish dinner I put the leftovers in plastic containers so that all I have to do in the morning is grab and go.

Take a look at the Zojirushi lunch jar. It has 4 containers, including one suitable for soup.
                      Cristina
                      IM PGY-2

Comment

Working...
                      X