Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

The Perfect Scoop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Perfect Scoop

Just got this fun book on the cheap: The Perfect Scoop by David Lebovitz. So, it's not going to replace my French Laundry cooking, but I thought I would let you gals know that there are some very cool recipes in here. Yum!

For all you Mexican Chocolate Lovers

Aztec "Hot" Chocolate Ice Cream

2 1/4 cup heavy cream
    6 T unsweetened dutch process cocoa powder
    3/4 cup sugar
    3 ounces semisweet or bittersweet chocolate, chopped
    1 1/4 cups whole milk
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    Pinch of salt
    1 1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
    2-3 teaspoons ancho or chipotle chili powder (to taste intensity)
    2 T brandy

Whisk together the cream, cocoa powder, and sugar in a large saucepan. Heat the mixture, whisking frequently, until it comes to a full, rolling boil (it will start to foam up.) Remove from the heat and add the chocolate, then whisk until it is completely melted. Stir in the milk, vanilla, salt, cinnamon, chile powder, and brandy. POu the mixture into a blender and blend for 30 seconds until very smooth.

Chill the mixture thouroughly in the refrigerator, then freeze it in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's instructions.

Perfect Pairing: For Mexican Chocolate and Cajeta Ice Cream, layer in one recipe of Cajeta. Include some Spiced Pecans if you'd like.

Cajeta

Begin your cajeta in a very large pot, with a capacity of at least 8 quarts, since the mixture can bubble up unexpectedly. It should be a heavy-duty pot with a thick bottom. Be sure to pay attention while you're cooking it, especially during the last 20 minutes, when it's bital to keep watch. If you don't stir it constantly during that final stage of cooking, it's likely to scorch on the bottom. If it does, simply strain to remove any browned bits.

4 cups whole milk (goat's milk is recommended, but cow's milk is fine depending on your taste and availability)
    1 cup sugar
    2 T light corn syrup
    1.4 teaspoon baking soda
    1 cinnamon stick, or 1/2 vanilla bean
    big pinch of salt

In a large, heavy-duty dutch oven or stock pot, heat the milk, sugar, corn syrup, baking soda, cinnamon stick or vanilla bean, and salt until the mixture comes to a boil. As the milk begins to foam up, begin stirring it with a heat proof spatula or wooden spoon.

Reduce the heat so the milk is at a low, rolling boil, and continue to cook, stiring frequently and scraping the bottom, allowing it to reduce.

After about 20 minuted, the milk will begin to thicken and turn a light beige color. At this point, lower the heat as much as possible (if you have a flame tamer, you may wish to use it), and be vigilant, scraping the bottom constantly as it cooks.

Continue to cook for about 15 minutes more, stirring vigilantly, until the milk is the color of coffee with a touch of cream. Remove from the heat and allow the cajeta to cook before serving.

Cajeta can be layered into ice cream like fudge ripple, in generous spoonfuls as you remove the just curned ice cream from the machine. THis is easiest to do when the cajeta is at room temperature and not chilled.

Storage: Cajeta can be stores in the refrigerator for up to 2 months. Rewarm it gently in a microwave or by stirring it int a saucepan over very low heat to serce as an accompaniment to ice cream. If it's too thick, you can thin it with a little milk.
    Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Re: The Perfect Scoop

I've done a chocolate mint ice cream, a chocolate banana ice cream, a lemon ice cream, and I am making several more batches this week for our ladies night. I am bringing the dessert! A homemade ice cream bar. Yummm. Every recipe I have tried from this book is heaven! I improvised the chocolate banana one based purely on the chocolate one, and I added 2 very ripe bananas to the final mixture and strained it a lot!! It tastes heavenly.

So for this ladies night, I am bringing the chocolate banana. I am also going to do a fig ice cream (I got 2 lbs of black mission figs the other day just for this). I haven't decided what else to do for sure yet, but I was thinking of a cheesecake and maybe one other. I will also bring a half gallon of store bought vanilla for those nonadventurous types. Plus I don't have time to make 5 batches of homemade stuff. The bowl has to freeze for 24 hours in between batches!

Anyway, if you've ever thought of making homemade icecream with your leftover fruits and things, I am sure there is a very pleasing recipe in this book that is right up your alley.
    Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

OMG, I'm on my way over Heidi! Those sound delicious!

Comment

OMG!!
        Ice cream is a definite weak spot for me.
        Thank goodness you live far away, or I'd be over there taste testing every batch!!

Comment

Working...
        X