Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

HELP!! How to fix Beef Bourguignon gone wrong

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP!! How to fix Beef Bourguignon gone wrong

On one of the few days that I knew dh would be getting home in time for dinner, I went far beyond what I'm capable of in the kitchen and made beef bourguignon. The sauce and vegetables came out beautifully. But the meat. Oh the meat....

We had a lovely sauce with.... the soles of our shoes. The meat was totally overcooked, chewy, but still rather pink in the inside. :huh:

I was so exhausted with the main dish (deglazing, straining, etc. etc.), that I told dh he was going to have to do without a salad or rice.

I've got tons of leftovers for tonight, and I'm just going to buy some spaetzle (German egg noodles) and call it a day.

Any pointers on how I can (as dh asked last night) "put some juicy back into the meat?" Or at least retain the little that I've got?

Should I heat it up in a crock pot? Should I tenderize cooked beef?

married to an anesthesia attending

Re: HELP!! How to fix Beef Bourguignon gone wrong

Originally posted by *Lily*
    Acid will help break it down - throw that shiz in the crockpot with some red wine and beef broth and let it cook all day.
    Really?!

Comment

I'll do this! I have some chianti left over that we wouldn't drink anyway. :huh: My husband and I don't drink.

Comment

The beef bourguignon I've made in that past was almost all red wine (with a little beef and crusty bread)....and it tasted great. I think Lily is on to something.
        Angie
        Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
        Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

The recipe called for beef broth and wine to begin with, so I'll just add more and try to get it to soften up a bit...

New Problem: Dh is 6'3" and I'm only 5'. Dh's got the crockpot up on an impossibly high shelf. I can't even get to it with my step stool. I'm not going to stand on the counter. And he's not going to be home until 8-9pm.

Comment

I'd just stand on the counter, or find a higher stepstool. You can wipe the counter down good after, if that's what you're worried about. (my DH is also 6'3", and I'm not a whole lot taller than you)
            Sandy
            Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

Ok. I'm going to stand on the counter. It's not very wide at its widest. I'm not afraid of it getting dirty (rental), but rather that the crockpot is SO heavy. It's the Costco industrial size one...

If I don't post in 10 minutes, send out search and rescue.

Comment

Originally posted by Pollyanna
                Okay, now you're worrying me. Leave the crock-pot alone. The beef will sit for another day. I vote for you to order take-out.
                I did it and I didn't like it at all. And I'm never doing something precarious like that AGAIN. My mom would have killed me for doing something dangerous like that. Please don't tell her, Tara.

Comment

Only if he's as cute as Toby! (He must be getting big!)

Comment

What you really need is a dog to feed the left-overs to.
                    Exactly!!!!! Feed the dog and drink the wine!!!!
                    Luanne
                    wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

I ended up adding extra wine and beef broth. I mixed some butter and flour together to help the sauce thicken. I had it on the lowest setting on my crock pot for a good 4 hours. The meat came out a bit stringy, but a HUGE HUGE improvement! Thank you, Lily!

Comment

Next time use Barefoot Contessa recipe. I usually put 3 times more wine than beef stock, may be that's the secret to getting soft meat. I wonder if the wine matters. She advises to use Pinot, which is high in acidity, but I usually go for Merlot or Cab because they're cheaper.

Comment

Ack! It was a Barefoot Contessa recipe! I used the one from her book. It was my fault as far as overcooking the meat, not hers.

Comment

Alison, next time try following her directions to the letter. I've made this dish several times (with different cuts of meat) and never had a problem. Although I do think that she calls for too much liquid, I usually add less.

Comment

Originally posted by Vishenka69
                              Alison, next time try following her directions to the letter. I've made this dish several times (with different cuts of meat) and never had a problem. Although I do think that she calls for too much liquid, I usually add less.
                              Ok, I will. I was a little liberal with the veggies.

Comment

Working...
                              X