Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Winter salad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winter salad?

What do you do during winter?

I love salads, but hate to pay the steep prices for (not-so) fresh lettuce and tomatoes during the winter.

Does anyone have any ideas?
    married to an anesthesia attending

Re: Winter salad?

I buy greens from the bulk salad green bin. They are fresh and tasty.

Comment

I like baby spinach with thin green apple slices, some grated parm and dried cranberries. Another good one is red cabbage, carrots (sliced with peeler), cucumber and scallion. I hate winter tomatoes too, I usually stick to grape or cherry ones, as they always seem to taste the same.

Comment

If you like greek or mediterranean food, you can make a terrific salad with canned hearts of palm, marinated artichoke hearts from the jar, kalamata olives, cucumber and crumbled feta cheese. It's even better with fresh tomatoes, if you can get them.

Comment

I like everyone's ideas and will try some.

For me, I've been craving warm food because I just can't stay warm this winter.

... it helps me enjoy salad in the winter to add these while their still hot right before serving: sauteed sliced mushrooms and also raw sunflower seeds toasted in a heavy pan on the stove. These both taste great on the mixed herb salad greens from Trader Joes along with crumbled blue cheese and a balsamic vinaigrette.

Happy salad making!

Comment

Thank you, everyone!

Crisis averted - my brother's girlfriend is coming after all, so it's no biggy if we don't have a salad.

I love insalata caprese in the winter - with cherry tomatoes. Thanks, Lily!

Comment

Originally posted by *Lily*
              Well, you can go with a wilted spinach salad with a warm bacon dressing, unless you're concerned about calories (the dressing is made with the warm bacon fat, apple cider vinegar and sugar).

I buy hothouse tomatoes and instead of lettuce, we go with an antipasti plate of tomatoes, baby mozz and basil drizzled with olive oil.

You can have a taste of summer with a broccoli salad. Serve it with grilled chicken and you'll think it's june!

If any of that is useful and you want specific recipes let me know.
              I'd like your wilted spinach salad dressing recipe.... warm sounds good....

Comment

Originally posted by monadatter
                Originally posted by *Lily*
                Well, you can go with a wilted spinach salad with a warm bacon dressing, unless you're concerned about calories (the dressing is made with the warm bacon fat, apple cider vinegar and sugar).

I buy hothouse tomatoes and instead of lettuce, we go with an antipasti plate of tomatoes, baby mozz and basil drizzled with olive oil.

You can have a taste of summer with a broccoli salad. Serve it with grilled chicken and you'll think it's june!

If any of that is useful and you want specific recipes let me know.
                Yes, the spinach salad sounds good. Is there any way to drain the fat and do it with the bacon? Or would it be too dry?

I've also done this with caramelized walnuts and blue cheese. My husband doesn't like blue cheese though.

I'd like your wilted spinach salad dressing.... warm sounds good....

Comment

Yum.

Comment

Originally posted by alison
                    Yum.
                    What she said!

Comment

I made a spinach salad, like you suggested, Lily. Only, I didn't use bacon this time. I made caramelized pecans, crumbled some blue cheese, and made the Barefoot Contessa's creamy vinaigrette. Oh, and I cut up a Granny Smith apple and added it. And then I tossed the whole thing together.

Comment

Alison, please post the recipes. I'm salivating!!!!!
                        Luanne
                        wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Working...
                        X