Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Calling all southern cooks!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calling all southern cooks!

I need a good biscuit recipe. The past two Sundays I've tried random biscuit recipes with our Sunday breakfast -- the first was too dense, the 2nd had better consistency, but lacked flavor.

Thanks in advance!

Re: Calling all southern cooks!

Originally posted by Jane
    I need a good biscuit recipe. The past two Sundays I've tried random biscuit recipes with our Sunday breakfast -- the first was too dense, the 2nd had better consistency, but lacked flavor.

Thanks in advance!
    I make a *great* (if I do say so myself) buttermilk biscuit, based off of Alton Brown' (Good Eats) show he did with his grandma, Ma Mae. He was born and raised in Georgia, so I assume they're decently "southern".

He made some more complicated ones, but his grandma's were simple, so that's what I do:

I start with 1 cup of self-rising flour, add a few tablespoons of shortening, mix it up with a fork, then add buttermilk till it's still doughy, but sticky and loose (usually about half a cup). Put it out on a heavily floured surface, pat it gently down to about 3/4" depth, cut into rounds (I use a small glass dipped in flour, but anything about 2 inches around works fine), and bake at 425 or 450 until golden brown (anywhere from 5-15 minutes, depending on the oven, etc.) I actually use powdered buttermilk and water instead of real buttermilk, because I don't make them all that often, and the powder lasts a lot longer in the freezer.

Here's a link to the transcript of the show; worth reading (even more worth watching, if you can catch it):

http://www.goodeatsfanpage.com/Season1/ ... script.htm

and on the official foodnetwork.com recipe page for that show, Ma Mae says to start with the biscuit recipe off the White Lily self-rising flour package...and here's that one:

http://www.whitelily.com/Recipes/Detail ... ipeID=3790

Wow. Ma Mae says 475 and that one says 500 degrees. :huh: Musta remembered wrong when I first made them.

Both the show and the flour-package recipe start with 2 C of flour, which will make a more reasonable amount. When I start with 1 C I usually end up with between 8-10 smallish biscuits (and I can make them in our toaster oven), which is perfect for the two of us, but might not be enough for more people. They're *excellent* with butter and honey.

Sandy
    Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

Sorry, Jenn, I buy frozen.

Sandy's got it covered, though. I would trust anyone to make biscuits named Ma Mae.

Comment

Thanks Sandy!

And just in case it doesn't work ... what brand do you buy Heidi??

Comment

Honestly, whatever is on sale.

I have had good luck with a brand (???) in the freezer section. It comes in either dark blue or red resealable bags.

Comment

Will try Sandy and Ma Mae's!! They sound yummy and easy.

The biscuits I make are:

1 tbsp baking powder
            1 tbsp sugar
            3/4 tsp salt
            2 cups flour
            1 stick butter

into the food processor until blended/butter is cut in

then add about 1/4 (to 1/3) cup milk and knead a few times

roll out to ~1/2 inch thick and cut biscuits with glass dipped in flour

bake at 500F 8-12 min depending on desired doneness
            Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

Originally posted by Jane
              the 2nd had better consistency, but lacked flavor.

Thanks in advance!
              That's because you did not smother them in sausage gravy...I thought this is the only way to eat biscuits in the south.

Ok - I am no help. I cheat and buy pillsbury frozen ones.
              Finally - we are finished with training! Hello real world!!

Comment

Originally posted by SnowWhite
                Jenn - I have a family recipe for "Angel Biscuits" that is my great aunt's (she lives in Elizabethtown, KY ). It is a little different in that it uses both baking powder and yeast for leavening. Makes a very light biscuit. You mix up a batch and let it refrig for atleast overnight. Then take out how much you want to use - lasts for a few weeks in frig. Let me know if you want it; I'll dig it out.
                Laura - I'd love to try it before I go out and buy self-rising flour. I've already got yeast on hand. Something that lasts for weeks in the fridge would be great, too.

Thanks!

I'm not into sausage gravy. I like my biscuits w/honey and butter. YUM!

Comment

Thanks Laura! We'll try them this weekend!

Comment

Do you think making the substitutions
                    One cup self-rising flour equals:
                    1 cup all-purpose flour, plus
                    1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder, plus
                    1/8 teaspoons salt.
                    would affect the buttermilk recipe much?? Cause that was my plan.....
                    Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

If you happen to have a crazy Russian kid who likes plain kefir, you can use that as a good substitute for buttermilk, too.

I'm so going to try some of these recipes. (Sandy- I saw that show w/ Ma Mae. She's one feisty lady)

Jenn

Comment

I use Bisquick!!!!
                        Luanne
                        wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Working...
                        X