Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Russian Zakuski

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Russian Zakuski

(Zakuski (bite sized morsels)

Here is the menu for the spread I've prepared for the International Food Fest at Crunchy School tonight.

Vodka
    Russian Black Bread
    Bavarian Rye Bread

Caviar and Cheese Ball
    (Zakuska iz Tvoroga i Ikri)

Calf's Liver Pate
    (Pechionochniy Pashtet)

Beet Caviar with Walnuts & Prunes
    (Svyokla s Orekhami i Chernoslivom)

Eggplant Caviar, Odessa Style
    (Baklazhannaya Ikra)

Herring with Sour Cream Sauce
    (Seliodka pod Smetannim Sousom)

"My Mother's Marinated Mushrooms"
    (Marionovanniye Gribi Moyei Mami)

all recipes are from Please to the Table by Anya von Bremzen & John Welchman

So far I've tasted the eggplant (roasted eggplant with chopped onion, tomatoes, olive oil and red wine vinegar),
    the marinated mushrooms (YUM!), the Liver Pate (also YUM!), and the cheese ball without the caviar on top. I'm roasting the beets right now and waiting for my beloved to bring home the brandy in which I am to soak the prunes.

I have the vodka in the freezer!

I can't wait!

Jenn

Re: Russian Zakuski

Sounds yummy. My only comments would be, the pate is usually chicken liver (I've never come across calf's liver in any Russian establishment or home) and I've never heard of combining tvorog and caviar (red?). Are you using farmer's cheese for that dish? Oh, and the beat dish is usually called "salad" and sometimes also has shredded carrots and raisins instead of prunes and tons of garlic.

Did you end up making pel'meni? How did that work out?

Comment

The cheese was a combination of cream cheese and farmer's cheese. I used herring caviar. (black) and it was yummy!

the Beet thing was the surprise hit- so many people said "I don't like beets" and then ended up loving it and coming back for seconds and thirds. It called for a couple cloves of garlic but the garlic flavor was very subtle once the mayo was added.

I wish the recipe had called for chicken livers as the calf liver was EXPENSIVE!.

All in all, I think people walked away with a newfound appreciation for Russian food. and they enjoyed the vodka, that's for sure!

Jenn

Comment

It's so cool that you're really getting into Russian food and spreading that appreciation around San Antonio. I'm sure Nikolai will appreciate it at some point too.

I'm still mulling over the cheese/caviar dish. It just sounds weird (still). May be I'll just have to make it one day.

Comment

It all sounds good. Can you share the beet recipe please? We love fresh beets.
          Luanne
          wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Julie-

the cheese ball was 1 8 oz block of cream cheese, and a 8 oz block of farmer's cheese blended in the food processor- then refrigerated for a few hours. Then it's formed into a ball, 'frosted' with sour cream and then the caviar is 'frosted' on top of the sour cream.

I should have taken pictures.

Luanne-

I'll post it when I get home from work. It was ridiculously easy, that's the best part!

Jenn

Comment

Working...
            X