Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

milk!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• milk!

does a body good! my kids love milk. we go thru 5-6 gallons a week. they drink a couple glasses with breakfast and dinner. any other time it's ice water. no juice. so, i guess i don't mind spending money on milk. but holy crap! it's getting expensive.
    $3.88/gallon for 2% non-organic generic milk.
    imagine my suprise when i went to the grocery store today and found it for $2.79 gallion!!

how many gallons, if you drink it do you go thru in a week?
    ~shacked up with an ob/gyn~

Re: milk!

1-1.5 gallons of skim milk a week, but only DH and I drink it (DS refuses ) and we mostly only have it in cereal. But I eat a lot of cereal.

I think I usually pay $2.99/gal. My big complaint is with orange juice, it's been almost $5/gal for a while!
    ~Jane

-Wife of urology attending.
    -SAHM to three great kiddos (2 boys, 1 girl!)

Comment

I think we're also at 1-1.5 gal for the two of us, also mostly in cereal. We're currently doing 1%. It's almost alway $2.99, occasionally on sale for less.

My current obsession, though, is plain yogurt, especially 2% Fage, greek-style yogurt. igout: I have to ration myself on that and I didn't even previously like plain yogurt!
      Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
      Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
      Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

Originally posted by Auspicious
        My current obsession, though, is plain yogurt, especially 2% Fage, greek-style yogurt. igout: I have to ration myself on that and I didn't even previously like plain yogurt!
        you can make your own ... I do and the boys LOVE it.

We only go through about 1.5 to 2 gallons a week. It's really the boys that consume it. I can't stand cereal ... I've been buying the 3 packs of organic 1/2 gallons at Costco for $7.

Comment

We don't go through all that much, but I recently read in my "Real Simple" that you can freeze it! I guess I'll try it next time I see a good price. Might as well fill up the deep freezer, right?
          -Deb
          Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

Do you use an electric yogurt maker? I was reading about making your own recently on my babyfood website, and I'm intrigued, but their methods for keeping it warm without buying a yogurt maker seemed very suspect to me.
            Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
            Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
            Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

i do use an electric yogurt maker, MIL doesn't. I wish I could master MIL's method, b/c she can make a huge quantity at once, while I can only make 8 little containers. my boys love it, so I go through it quickly. many of MIL's methods seem sketchy to me, so I can understand your hesitation.

Comment

Originally posted by Deebs
                We don't go through all that much, but I recently read in my "Real Simple" that you can freeze it!
                If you try this, please let us know how it goes.

Comment

Originally posted by Jane
                  We don't go through all that much, but I recently read in my "Real Simple" that you can freeze it!
                  If you try this, please let us know how it goes.

I've been paying 3.99 a gallon for non-rbst 1% milk (not organic).

Comment

We used to go through so little milk that we almost always threw half of it out because it kept going bad on us, so we started buying the organic simply because the expiration dates are so far out. I think we probably go through a little more now than we did then (I've started eat cereal a little more often), but still slowly enough that it's just simpler to keep getting the stuff with the one-month shelf-life.
                    Sandy
                    Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

i do use an electric yogurt maker
                      What kind do you have, and do you like it? We go through a lot of yogurt, and I have thought about making my own, but I don't want to invest in another appliance that I don't know anything about.
                      -Deb
                      Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

We had some milk that froze in the back of the fridge and the taste changed once defrosted. I know that it's still good to drink, but I didn't like it that way. Maybe it was just me? Do let us know how it goes.
                        Cristina
                        IM PGY-2

Comment

Syl we go through about the same amt of milk!

I used to make our yogurt all of the time. Now I buy TJs French Village whole Plain yogurt (complete w/ the thick cream on top)! The baby loves to eat the thick creamy part!

Here's how I always did it:
                          Heat whole milk until it almost boils, then allow for it to cool off a bit. Stir in a 1/2 cup or small container of plain yogurt. Put a lid on the pot. Wrap it in a heavy old blanket and set out of the way, like on a counter top for 24 hours. After 24 hours remove blanket & open the lid, you should have a big pot of yogurt! I then transfer it to plastic containers w/ lids and put in the fridge!

Comment

What kind do you have, and do you like it? We go through a lot of yogurt, and I have thought about making my own, but I don't want to invest in another appliance that I don't know anything about.
                            I have a Donvier. I like it fine - but I'd prefer one that made one big portion rather than 8 small ones. The way Suz does it is similar to my MIL ... but when I tried it I ended up with curdled, spoiled milk.

Comment

Originally posted by Jane
                              I have a Donvier. I like it fine - but I'd prefer one that made one big portion rather than 8 small ones. The way Suz does it is similar to my MIL ... but when I tried it I ended up with curdled, spoiled milk.
                              Did you use whole milk? You need to prevent adding the yogurt while it is still too hot. I had a few mishaps in the beginning,because I wasn't using whole milk and because I added the yogurt too soon after heating the milk. A few times when i checked it hadn't set up, so I just rewrapped it and left it for a bit longer!Once you get it right, you sorta just get a feel for it! I'm sure the maker is fool proof, too bad they don't make one that produce bulk amts!

Comment

Working...
                              X