Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

generic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: generic

We have similar issues with bulk foods or even 'regular' foods. I understand that hotdogs are sold 8 per pack but there's only three of us- three hot dogs at a time. Either the hot dog buns end up freezer burned or moldy. (of course, we eat hot dogs like once every six months which is a contributing factor)

I bought a double box of Special K Strawberries BEFORE Rick deployed and we haven't even opened the second box.

Thank goodness the three of us like leftovers for lunches. I can't imagine not having at least one meal for each of us left over after the evening meal.

Jenn

Comment

Originally posted by oceanchild
      We buy a lot of generic stuff, but of course we each have our own neuroses about particular brands. (Examples: I must have full fat Philadelphia brand cream cheese for my bagels. DH only likes Jif peanut butter.) I'm not sure we've upped our intake of generic brands by much, because we always bought a fair amount.

What frequently hurts us with grocery prices is the fact that we just don't have space to buy bulk. I know I spend more money by buying 4 rolls of toilet paper at a time, but there just isn't any place to put an extra 12 rolls.
      It's just the two of us, and we have the same space issues that you've got. We do go through tons of toilet paper though.

I've got to have Philadelphia cream cheese and Best Food's mayonnaise. And Perrier water.

Do you have a neighbor who could split the amount of bulk things like TP? We used to halve our stuff with a friend of mine.
      married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

Originally posted by house elf
        We purchase a LOT of generic. There are a few things that I will not buy generic b/c it is just not worth the cost savings: light bulbs, trash bags, and deodorant.

Kelly
        you're very right Kelly. the one place we've found that generics just don't carry over well are trash bags. don't even waste your pennies! that said, I do buy Target brand toilet paper and paper towels.

Comment

What frequently hurts us with grocery prices is the fact that we just don't have space to buy bulk. I know I spend more money by buying 4 rolls of toilet paper at a time, but there just isn't any place to put an extra 12 rolls.
          I used to store toilet paper and paper towels in the trunk of the car when we lived in NY.

Comment

Originally posted by DCJenn
            I use generics alot, with the exception of bread. I find that MOST of the time, the second ingredient in the generic bread is HFCS.
            Thanks for the info, Jenn, I did not know this. Now I'll have to start reading the bread packages. Good grief, that stuff creeps into everything!

I buy generic most of the time. There is a generic "brand" at Giant Eagle (I forget the name) but it's much cheaper than the store generic and all the real brands, but it's usually made in China so I don't buy that.

I don't buy generic coffee, tea bags, paper towels, toothpaste, hot dogs, or sodas.

What I wouldn't give to have a SuperTarget near... On the other hand, that could be financially dangerous.

Comment

Originally posted by Vishenka69
              I used to store toilet paper and paper towels in the trunk of the car when we lived in NY.
              Hahaha. Awesome. DH currently stores cases of soda in the trunk, which is good for him (he can grab one at work) but wouldn't really be useful for me.

And alison, your splitting bulk stuff idea is really good. Yet another reason why we ought to have friends in our building (still don't).
              We use the car to store things, but in the end, dragging around 48 cans of pop and another 36 rolls of TP isn't so great for gas mileage.
              married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

We do some things generic, other things at Costco, and some name brand w/ coupons. Often the name brand on sale w/ a coupon is cheaper than the other options--but it does take effort to figure out the timing. I also do multiple stores, but try to plan one trip to cut down on gas.

We used to have a space problem for the bulk purchases. Then one day, in a fit of pregnancy-nesting, I emptied the closets and took about 4 truckloads to the goodwill. Where all that junk came from I'll never know...but now that space is full of TP, Kleenex and shampoo .

Comment

We do mostly generic. Actually Trader Joe's brand quick foods have very reasonable prices. Also, for the in demand items around here, like Irish oats, it pays to know which store does the major mark up. The local grocery prices them at $2 more than TJs. We ate all veggies from the garden last year and hope to do it again this year.

I learned from the manager of a local store that among their best profits were fruit. Huge mark ups. I never would have guessed that. It isn't like you can go generic with fruit. We have added canned fruits to the kitchen. This is something I never even knew existed growing up.

It is actually starting to pay to buy local foods.

Comment

Working...
                  X