Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Lemon Verbena

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lemon Verbena

Davita & I picked up our first CSA installment today, and got a big bunch of lemon verbena. We had a bunch of herbs to choose from, or a bunch of green onions, but both of us were taken in by the scent. Now we're trying to figure out what to do with it.

Any ideas? I figure worse case scenario, I make a little bundle and hang it in my kitchen. It smells SO good.

Re: Lemon Verbena

I think this is one of those times when google will be your best friend.

J.

Comment

Have you done a search on Martha Stewart's website?

I have a CSA cookbook that I'll check in. It's nothing magic but does have info on a wide range of vegetables that one might get via CSA but not necessarily the store.

I'm thinking that steeping that herbie might be the way to go. Steep it in milk or cream and make a pudding or sauce or something like that.

Comment

I'll try Martha's site. I did google it and came up with a few things - but they all sound pretty labor intensive. I think I may focus on trying to extract / prolong the scent for as long as possible. I don't need to eat it.

Our CSA gave us a cookbook too - but there were no lemon verbena recipes.

Comment

Nothing in my CSA book either. You're making me wish I had signed up for a CSA this year!

Enjoy the aroma! I looked on a few links and some suggested pairing it with chicken or fish. You could just add some to whatever you are cooking instead of following one of the recipes.

Comment

I think it's popular in Asian food.

Jenn

Comment

If you want to preserve the scent you could look up recipes for making your own tarts, candles, soaps, or lotions.
              Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

I found one site that said it can basically be substituted for lemon zest as long as it's chopped finely. And another recipe for scones using it. I might just make my scones (Grandma Johnson's, that is), and use some in there. I also found a suggestion of tucking some in a container of sugar and using that infused sugar to sprinkle on sugar cookies or whatever. I like that one.

Martha's website had a LV lemonade - but it also called for the juice of 10 squeezed lemons. Uh ... no. And she had a suggestion for LV frozen in icecubes - that would be yummy in a glass of iced tea. But the site said the ice cubes are only good for a week. I can't figure out why ....

Comment

Check out epicurious.com if you haven't already- holy crap! There are some Amazing sounding recipes that have lemon verbena in them.

Jenn

Comment

Working...
                  X