Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Sri Lankan Chicken Curry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sri Lankan Chicken Curry

I was typing this up to send to Alison and figured I might as well post it here. It is yummy, and easy, but uses lots of different spices which is a pain. It is very spicy as in flavourful, but not hot.
    I usually add a cup of brown lentils and some veggies at the same time as the chicken.

Serves 8-10

3 tbsp oil
    1/4 tsp fenugreek seeds
    10 lime leaves
    2 large onions, chopped
    2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
    4 tsp ginger, chopped
    1 tsp turmeric
    1 tsp ground coriander
    1 tsp ground cumin
    3/4 tsp ground fennel
    2 tsp red paprika
    2 tsp salt
    2 tbsp vinegar
    3 1b boneless chicken breast or thigh meat, cubed
    3 tomatoes, chopped
    6 cardamom pods
    1 stick cinnamon
    2 large strips lemon rind
    1 cup coconut milk

In a large skillet, heat oil and quickly toast fenugreek seeds and lime leaves. Add onions, garlic and ginger. Saute until soft. Add ground spices, salt and vinegar. Stir well. Add chicked and coat with spices by stirring. Add tomatoes, whole spices and lemon rind. Cook covered over low heat for 30 minutes. Remove whole spices and lemon rind if possible. Add coconut milk and salt. Cook for only 5-10 minutes more.

Re: Sri Lankan Chicken Curry

Do you happen to remember what kind of veggies you might have served to us? This looks great, and I have most of the spices, DH will be so happy!!

EDIT: OK, I kind of improvised between your recipe and a chicken mulligatawny recipe. So I added potatoes at the beginning, carrots with the chicken. But, I also added the lentils since we really liked them in your dish -- and I think I screwed up. It occurred to me as I sprinkled them in that there was not nearly enough liquid to simmer them in! Sure enough, they didn't cook through (neither did the potatoes.)

Now, it was far from a disaster -- DH actually is down with a stomach bug and wasn't going to eat anyway, so I'll just reheat it (and finish cooking!) tomorrow. But -- how did YOU do the lentils? Pre-cooked? Add extra liquid?
    Alison

Comment

Oh no! So sorry!
      I meant to say that I presoak the lentils for a couple of hours before! And the addition of lentils means you need to add some water. I cant remember how much, I just eyeballed.
      Also, if you make it with "fake" chicken like I did when you guys came over, you need to add additional water as it does not release juices like real chicken does.

As for veggies, I think carrots, potatoes and peas are good.

Sorry again

Comment

Originally posted by bugs
        Oh no! So sorry!
        I meant to say that I presoak the lentils for a couple of hours before! And the addition of lentils means you need to add some water. I cant remember how much, I just eyeballed.
        Also, if you make it with "fake" chicken like I did when you guys came over, you need to add additional water as it does not release juices like real chicken does.

As for veggies, I think carrots, potatoes and peas are good.

Sorry again
        No worries! I noticed that it just needed more water overall and so I added that. No problem! I was just brainless about the lentils, I know better than to just toss 'em in and expect them to cook in 30 minutes with little water (LOL) but they're going to turn out fine. And the dish tastes DELICIOUS!! I didn't have the cardamom or fennel so I might pick that up and add it while I re-heat and finish cooking it for tonight. DH is already feeling better, so he can look forward to dinner when he wakes up this evening.
        Alison

Comment

Working...
        X