Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Note to self : make sure the gallbladder is removed!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Note to self : make sure the gallbladder is removed!!

DH & I decided to boil a whole chicken yesterday. We added chopped onion, some Indian spices. I would go over and skim the froth from time to time, but never tasted the broth. Same w/DH, he usually tastes the broth to see if it needs more salt or something, but yesterday it wasn't until we were getting ready to make the rice, that he finally decided to taste it. He called me over to try it and at first it was fine, then suddenly ewwww there was a nasty bitter sour taste!! He immediately said "What do you want to bet that the gallbladder is still attached to the liver?" He was right! The damn poultry processing plant didn't remove the gallbladder!!! Fortunately it had not ruptured, but still enough of it had seeped into the broth to give it a bad taste. DH immediately poured out the nasty broth and rinsed the chicken in cool water. He grabbed the knorr bullion and made a new broth bath for it and added spices. Thank goodness the meat hadn't absorbed the foul(pardon the pun) flavor!
    ITE it turned out pretty good!

Honestly, in all my years I have never experienced anything like this. DH said back in Syria, it is well known because you often have to remove and clean out the organs yourself. I guess if I were a hunter or animal farmer & prepared/consumed my own meat I might have heard about making sure you don't cook the gallbladder!
    Last edited by Momo; 01-30-2010, 03:43 PM.

Re: Note to self : make sure the gallbladder is removed!!

Ewww.

Definitely filing that under "things to keep in mind!" Glad it turned out better after the second go-round!

Jenn

Comment

How To Prepare Poultry For Cooking

Remove pinfeathers, singe to remove hairs, over a tb. alcohol burning in a saucer or over a blaze. Cut off head; cut the skin down the back of the neck, remove windpipe and crop. Cut neck off close to the body, leaving the skin long that it may be folded over on the back of the chicken in cooking. Cut through the skin below the leg joint without cutting the tendons. Place leg at end of board and break the joint; hold the fowl firmly in left hand and pull off the foot with tendons. In old birds, the tendons must be taken out one at a time, using a steel skewer. Make an incision below the breastbone and with the hand remove the entrails, gizzard, heart, and liver. The last three are called giblets. Do not break the gall bladder, which lies on the under surface of the right lobe of the liver. Remove carefully the lungs and kidneys, which lie in the hollow near the backbone. Remove the oil bag and wash the fowl by letting cold water run through it, but do not let it soak in cold water. Clean the giblets carefully.

Comment

That's so interesting! I'll have to keep that in mind. Glad it turned out fine in the end!

Comment

YUK! That does sound nasty. Glad it turned out OK, I'll definitely be inspecting my chicken more thoroughly!!!!!
          Luanne
          wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

EEEEWWWWW....yuck!!

Reminds me of the time that I cracked open an egg to find...a fertilized chick embryo thingie.

Some food experiences you never forget!

Comment

GMW lol Well I used to get that way too, but now I'm just like....oh and throw some salt and pepper on it! (I learned about it after learning about it in HS Chem class: when we had to incubate our own chicks)

Comment

Yuck! I actually killed and cleaned a chicken once and it was uber nasty. One would expect that a store bought chicken would have all it's unmentionables removed! Ugh.

Comment

Working...
                X