Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Artichokes?!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Artichokes?!?

Where can you find these in the Midwest??? Most places don't even carry them. And when I do find them, they look terrible. I don't understand why they're $2 each!

:huh: Any ideas?
    married to an anesthesia attending

Re: Artichokes?!?

i have never gotten them fresh...only jarred. that probably isnt very helpful is it?
    ~shacked up with an ob/gyn~

Comment

I have been buying the four pack at Trader Joes for 2.99. They are small but still pretty tasty. You will have your pick of the world's best artichokes in just 11 short months.
      Mom to three wild women.

Comment

I don't remember at all what time of year it was, but I think I bought fresh artichokes at Wal-Mart once! You've probably checked all the major grocers... Can you call around to smaller ethnic or health food stores?

Comment

We get them here all the time! Maybe it's a new shortage? Or just Chicago? Seriously, there aren't any at Whole Foods? ( I suppose they are out of season now, though....)
          Angie
          Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
          Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

I looked at Trader Joe's (none), Whole Foods (looked terrible), a Safeway ($2 each), Costco (none). I didn't realize they weren't in season - I had a roasted one at a restaurant a little while ago, and figured if it was on the menu, that it was in season.

I can wait until next year. I'm looking forward to good produce!

Comment

How do you prepare yours?

Comment

The four pack I buy at TJs is closer to the hummus and the sushi, rather than in the veggies section.

I steam them in the steamer. I serve with butter or mayo. If I have time I might add lemon and dill to the mayo.

My kids eat them before I can even get at them half the time- I think they are a great kid food bc kids love anything you can dip.
                Mom to three wild women.

Comment

Have you ever tried roasting an artichoke?

I had it this way recently (at Bandera), and it was good. I'll have to look up how to cook it, but I don't think I'll be in the market for artichokes until we're in CA next year. Boo. I have been having serious cravings.

At Costco you can get pretty good produce. That's where I go for most of mine. I get my Washington apples and cherries there.

My friends here make fun of me, because I never crave meat. I'll take a good salad or veggies any day!

Comment

My mom and grandmother always make stuffed artichokes....I don't know how they do it exactly, but when it's done, each person gets the whole artichoke and pulls out the leaves and scrapes off the stuffing and artichoke meat with their teeth and then discards the hard stem-y part. SOOOOO yummy! I buy canned and chop them up in lasagna and other pasta dishes.
                    Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

My MIL does a yummy roasted artichoke dish under the broiler. It made with only the heart (ish) of the fresh artichokes, lots of other chopped up stuff (garlic? onion? fresh herbs?), some olive oil and butter....yum. We are going to visit this week. I'll see if I can get the recipe. We usually just steam them. You remove the tough outer leaves, cut the base level and the top "open", then use scissors to snip the pointy end off the remaining leaves. Place them standing up in an inch or so of water in a pan. Cover the pan and steam/boil the water for about 45 minutes to an hour. Remove them with tongs to a plate and serve with something to dip. The leaves will be easily removable and tender. When you get down to the heart, you have to cut off the hairy cap that covers the tender center. Not yummy. The heart can be eaten with a knife and fork. My kids are artichoke junkies. It is a "fun" vegetable so they've been fans since toddler-hood. It is too bad they take so long to cook and the availability seems suspect. Also, I've heard they are good "diet" food because it takes sooooo long to eat one you slow down. I imagine the melted butter bowl for dipping negates that effect!!
                      Angie
                      Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
                      Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

Where can you find these in the Midwest??? Most places don't even carry them. And when I do find them, they look terrible. I don't understand why they're $2 each!
                        Go to Jewel or Dominicks (or if you have any small European-type grocery stores nearby), and you should be able to find them year-round. Caputo's might have them - if so, they'll be cheaper. They're not locally grown, so if you're from the midwest, $2 doesn't sound bad.
                        -Deb
                        Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

Thanks for the tip, Deebs. I may try Treasure Island. They had 2 at Dominicks today, and both were so so sad looking.

I can wait until next year.

Michele and Angie, please post those recipes!

Comment

I'll email my mom.
                            Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

No hurry, Michele. It sounds yummy though!

Comment

Working...
                              X