Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Mushroom Brie Soup?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mushroom Brie Soup?

Does anyone have a recipe for this gut-buster?

I had it over the weekend in Milwaukee and loved it! Dh is not a big soup-eater (he contends that it's more like a drink than actual food. ) He doesn't like cheese either. So... I thought I'd try it out tonight.

I know I'm getting a late start.
    married to an anesthesia attending

Re: Mushroom Brie Soup?

I will let you know if I find one, Annie.

The one I had in Milwaukee was cream-based. Ug. Cream, brie, probably a whole stick of butter or something crazy like that.

Comment

Wow - sounds incredible. I hope you find it. (I'm in search of a Santa Fe green chili soup recipe - DH raved over a bowl of it that he had recently.)

Comment

Found these on line. . .

MUSHROOM AND BRIE SOUP
        Source: Chef Randall Sansom
        Servings: 8

2 tablespoons butter
        2 each shallots, minced(see note)
        1 medium onion, minced
        3 pounds white domestic mushrooms
        1 cup white wine
        1 quart heavy cream
        8 ounces brie

In a medium sized pot set over medium-high heat melt butter. Sauté onions and shallots in butter until they are a deep golden brown.

Add mushrooms all at once and gently stir for about 1 minute.

Stir in white wine and reduce to a simmer. Almost all at once the mushrooms will release all of their liquid to make a mushroom broth.

Add heavy cream and simmer for about 20 minutes to develop flavors.

Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and white pepper. Reduce heat to low and stir in the cheese.

Important: DO NOT allow soup to boil once you have incorporated the cheese or the oils will separate!

Variations:

Any type of mushroom (portabella, porcini, etc.) substituted for a portion of the domestic white mushrooms would only improve the flavor of this soup.

Note: Shallots are a member of the onion family with the flavor of a cross between onions and garlic. Shallots look like small brown onions and should not be confused with green onions which are often mistakenly called shallots.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        TRIPLE MUSHROOM SOUP WITH BRIE
        Source: Erin, Alaska
        Servings: 6

4 tablespoons butter
        1/2 cup chopped shallots
        1/2 pound sliced shiitake mushrooms, stems removed
        1/2 pound sliced button mushrooms
        1/2 pound sliced crimini mushrooms
        Salt, to taste
        Pepper, to taste
        2 tablespoons flour
        3 cups chicken broth
        2 tablespoons sherry (optional)
        1 cup heavy cream
        Snipped chives
        1/3 pound cold Brie, cut into thin slices, rind on

In a 3-quart saucepan, melt the butter and add the shallots, stirring for 2-3 minutes. Do not brown.

Add the mushrooms. Season with salt and pepper and sauté for 5 minutes, until the mushroom liquid has begun to evaporate.

Sprinkle the flour over the mushrooms, and stir until the flour begins to cook. All white must disappear from the flour, then cook 2- 3 minutes to get rid of flour taste.

Gradually add the chicken broth, whisking until the soup is smooth. Season again with salt and pepper and bring back to boil. Add the sherry and heavy cream, bringing the soup to a boil.

Ladle soup into bowls; top with 2 thin slices of Brie and garnish with chives.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        CREAM OF MUSHROOM WITH BRIE SOUP

1 bunch green onions, chopped
        4 tablespoons shallots
        1 1/2 cups fresh sliced mushrooms
        1 tablespoon butter
        6 tablespoons sherry
        6 cups chicken broth
        2 cups half-and-half
        6 ounces brie cheese, rind removed
        2 tablespoons cornstarch (more, or less, depending on how thick you want the soup)
        2 tablespoons water to mix with cornstarch
        1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
        1/3 teaspoon nutmeg
        1/2 teaspoon salt

Saute onions, shallots and mushrooms in butter. Add sherry and chicken broth. Simmer for at least 10 minutes.

Before adding the cheese, remove the rind. Add the cream and cheese. Simmer the soup, whisking until the cheese melts and is smooth.

Mix cornstarch with water and whisk into the soup to thicken. Bring to a soft rolling boil and remove from the heat. Add pepper, nutmeg and salt at this time.

Serve with French bread and salad for a heart-warming meal.
        Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

Thanks! I ended up making the first one that you listed. It wasn't very good and I could feel my arteries clogging. The second one sounds good though. I'll have to try it with a combination of different mushrooms.

Comment

Working...
          X