Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Pumpkin Stew

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pumpkin Stew

Holy MoG this was the BEST vegetable stew I have ever had in my life.

Go and find the October Vegetarian Times and it's the stew pictured on the cover.

I'll post it tomorrow.

YUM!

Jenn

Re: Pumpkin Stew

I have been drooling over that picture for over a month! I know DH wouldn't like it so haven't made it, but if it is that good maybe I'll make it for myself!

Comment

I can't find it - we are delayed with the forwarded mail - pumpkin stew sounds lovely!!

Comment

OK Hussey where's the recipe??!!!...don't be a tease

Comment

Does anyone have this recipe? This sounded v exciting and I still have a pumpkin from our Nov farm share.
          Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
          Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

I dont have the pumpkin recipe, but if anyone wants a very delicious butternut squash and apple soup, let me know! I made it at thanksgiving. Big hit! And easy!
            ~shacked up with an ob/gyn~

Comment

Sounds good to me!! Whatever you've got, I'll take!
              Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
              Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

Chunky Vegetable Stew
                Vegetarian Times Issue: October 1, 2004 p.12 — Member Rating: -

A resident of Sedona, Arizona, and a longtime vegetarian, Lois Passov provides personal chef services and holds cooking classes, all with the intention of finding new ways to present and enjoy vegetables. Her motto? “Play with your food.” This stew is one of her favorite dishes, and it may be served on basmati rice or scooped into hollowed-out sourdough bread or a cooked pumpkin.

Ingredient List
                Serves 4

2 Tbs. olive oil
                1 onion, cut into thick slices
                3 cloves garlic, minced
                1 14 1/2-oz. can stewed tomatoes, undrained
                About 2 cups cooked garbanzo beans
                2 sweet potatoes or yams, peeled and cut into 2-inch chunks
                3/4 tsp. crushed rosemary
                1 large zucchini, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
                Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
                1/4 cup soy Parmesan cheese, optional
                Directions
                Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion, separating the slices into rings, and cook for about 5 minutes, or until soft. Add the garlic, and cook for 1 minute. Add the tomatoes and juices, garbanzo beans, sweet potatoes and rosemary. Bring to a boil, and reduce the heat to low.
                Add the zucchini, stir, cover and cook for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender. Stir in the salt and pepper, garnish with the cheese, if using, and serve.
                Nutritional Information
                Per SERVING: Calories: 290, Protein: 10g, Total fat: 9g, Saturated fat: 1g, Carbs: 46g, Cholesterol: 0mg, Sodium: 430mg, Fiber: 10g, Sugars: 16g
                Luanne
                wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Country Pumpkin Chowder
                  Vegetarian Times Issue: October 1, 2004 p.37 — Member Rating:

Pumpkins are loaded with beta-carotene, the antioxidant that imparts a bright orange color. Current research suggests that a diet rich in beta-carotene offers protection against heart disease and certain types of cancer.

Ingredient List
                  Serves 12

2 tsp. olive oil
                  1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper
                  5 cloves garlic, minced
                  1 medium yellow onion, chopped
                  1 red bell pepper, chopped
                  1 6-oz. pkg. soy “chicken” strips, cut into 1-inch lengths
                  2 cups cubed baby Dutch yellow potatoes
                  1/3 cup dry sherry
                  3 cups vegetarian “chicken”-flavored stock, hot
                  1 14.5-oz. can Mexican stewed tomatoes, chopped or pulsed in blender
                  1 15-oz. can pumpkin purée
                  1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
                  2 Tbs. nutritional yeast
                  1 Tbs. tamari
                  Hot pepper sauce to taste
                  Directions
                  Heat the oil and crushed red pepper in a Dutch oven or large saucepan over medium-high heat for 1 minute. Add garlic, onion and bell pepper, sauté for 2 minutes and add the soy “chicken” strips. Cook for 2 minutes, and add the potatoes. Cook mixture for 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Add the sherry, stir for 30 seconds, and add the stock and tomatoes.
                  Reduce the heat to medium, and spoon in the pumpkin, stirring to mix thoroughly. Add the cilantro, yeast, tamari and hot pepper sauce to taste. Reduce the heat to low, and cook for 10 minutes, or until ready to serve.

Nutritional Information
                  Per SERVING: Calories: 177, Protein: 6g, Total fat: 1g, Saturated fat: 0g, Carbs: 36g, Cholesterol: 0mg, Sodium: 732mg, Fiber: 6g, Sugars: 13g
                  Luanne
                  wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Working...
                  X