Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

1st Birthday Party Menu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1st Birthday Party Menu

Ok ladies, I need help on another menu. So we're having Adele's 1st birthday party at my parents' home from 2:30-4:30. There will be approximately 12 adults and two little ones. MIL, FIL, and BIL will have to drive 90 minutes to 2 hours each way to get there and they can't stop for a bite afterward for at least an hour after they leave my parents'.

Keep in mind my MIL eats almost no starch, including breads.

So I'm thinking:
    Spinach dip (hot)
    Guacamole
    Veggie sticks & tortilla chips for dipping
    cake

What else? I don't want to go overboard b/c it is 2 days after Christmas but at the same time I don't want people to leave hungry. Easy is key since I'm also making and decorating the cake.

Thanks!
    Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Re: 1st Birthday Party Menu

What about chili or some other kind of soup? You'd just have to keep an eye on it.
    married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

I like the chili idea!

I can't believe she is almost 1, Cheri.

Comment

Unfortunately Chili is a holiday tradition in my family so we'll be having that on the 25th.

I can't believe she's almost 1 either!

Comment

I like that tradition. What a fun idea.

Some other soup? How much food and/or effort? You could do fajitas or a fajita bar. I'm stuck on the idea of having chili and toppings put out. I know fajitas have the tortillas but you could do corn for your MIL (or she could go w/o the wrap). There was a recipe in this week's paper for a slow cooker chicken taco meat thing that sounded really good.

Comment

Wow...1 already!!!

I really like the fajita bar idea. It makes having leftovers easy too.
            Danielle
            Wife of a sexy Radiologist and mom to TWO adorable little boys!

Comment

Here's a link to that chicken recipe. I'm going to try it without the chipotles so its not to spicy for the kids.
              http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/moms/6088792.html

Comment

How about the Super Easy Indian Chicken? OK so I've never made it (not really a fan of Indian food...but admittedly I haven't tried that much).....but it received rave reviews :P and it's Super Easy.
                Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

Something super easy? Order a 4 foot sub from your local sandwich shop. or how ever long you need to feed that number of people.

J.

Comment

Originally posted by DCJenn
                    Something super easy? Order a 4 foot sub from your local sandwich shop. or how ever long you need to feed that number of people.

J.

Sorry I just had to do that. I should have prefaced all of this by saying that my parents live in the middle of NOWHERE Kansas and "closest" sandwich shop is probably an hour away. Sorry Jenn, couldn't resist.

I talked to my sister last night and I think we're going to do meatballs in the crockpot in addition to the dips. We'll provide buns if people want meatball sandwiches or people who don't eat bread (like my MIL) can just have meatballs.

Comment

Seriously? I'd go batty!!!

J.

Comment

Yep, my parents fast food choices that are still 20 minutes away include Sonic and Pizza Hut plus a bunch of really bad local restaurants. Though there is one really good BBQ place in town.

When I was a kid a trip to the mall was a treat because it was 90 minutes away.

Comment

Working...
                        X