Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Knife sharpening

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Knife sharpening

I'm talking about the good kitchen knives here.

Do you do yours at home? What do you use?

Do you take yours out? Where do you take them?

(I don't think we've talked about this before, have we?)
    Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
    Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
    Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Re: Knife sharpening

Originally posted by Auspicious
    I'm talking about the good kitchen knives here.

Do you do yours at home? What do you use?

Do you take yours out? Where do you take them?

(I don't think we've talked about this before, have we?)
    I'm looking for a good place in Chicago, too. I'll be watching this thread!

My parents take their good ones to a butcher.
    You can take them to a grocery store deli too. There is no way in hell I'd take mine to a Dominick's or Jewel. I do mine at home.
    married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

Yes, but it was a while ago.

Ask ladybug/Annie, she had a place in Chicago she liked if I recall.

I have a steel that I use pretty regularly and then I get them professionally sharpened every year or so (heavy on the so). I'm so happy because I found a mobile knife sharpening guy. He goes to restaurants and if he is in my part of town will come by, or I can meet him at a restaurant. It cost somewhere between $12 and $20.

I'd like to learn to use a stone. I hear mixed things on the electrical ones but I think there are some new ones that do a good job. There was a review in Fine Cooking a while back. I think this was it:
      http://www.taunton.com/finecooking/arti ... eners.aspx

Comment

Thanks for the link Cupcake - our knives really need to be sharpened. We have a little pull through type dealie - but it leaves the edges a bit wavy.
        Kris

Comment

going pro is really inexpensive, and really, really worth it IMO.

Comment

I use a steel with great results.
            Luanne
            wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Originally posted by Luanne123
              I use a steel with great results.
              same here!

Comment

I should clarfiy -- it is $12-20 (can't remember) for three knives. I think the charges is $1/inch with a minimum of $5 per knife. I agree that it is relatively inexpensive and it is like having a set of brand new knives.

Suz and Luanne, try it sometime...I'm sure you need another item on your to-do lists. The steel hones the edge of the blade but doesn't sharpen it. I think the knives do seem a little sharper after I hone.

Comment

If the tips of my good knives weren't missing and or bent, I probably would take them in.
                  You see,my MIL ,during her last visit,used them to open canned goods the old fashioned way...too prideful to ask for help in figuring out the electric opener ...and don't even ask me why she didn't use one of the many manual ones we have

Comment

Originally posted by pinkpickles
                    If the tips of my good knives weren't missing and or bent, I probably would take them in.
                    You see,my MIL ,during her last visit,used them to open canned goods the old fashioned way...too prideful to ask for help in figuring out the electric opener ...and don't even ask me why she didn't use one of the many manual ones we have
                    I can't believe she would do that to your knives!
                    Kris

Comment

Oh Suz. I'd be so mad about that! Yeah, I guess those aren't worth the time or effort to get them sharpened. I had a friend house sit and use my nice nice paring knife as a spatula in the blender. The blender blade must have still been running. I'm glad she didn't get hurt. It totally mangled the knife and she replaced it but was disappointed to see it wasn't a cheap-o knife.

I think you deserve a IL long visit reward of a new set of knives.

Comment

I have one of those really expensive electric knife sharpeners that I pull out once a year or so.

there used to be a great knife sharpener right off the riverwalk who did all of the chefs knives but he closed while we were in DC and I have no idea where he is now.

I think Williams-Sonoma and Sur la Table will do it, too.

Jenn

Comment

I use a steel for now too but the results don't last long. I'll have to stop by our local WS to see how much they charge.

Comment

pinkpickles wrote:If the tips of my good knives weren't missing and or bent, I probably would take them in.
                            I would be tempted to use those knives on her.
                            Luanne
                            wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Working...
                            X